Chapter 1

--Annie's POV--

 It was a beautiful summer day, the sun was shining, the birds were chirping, all that crap. I was sitting in my room doing nothing until my twin brother, Benny, barged in.

"Sis, grab your glove, we're goin' to the sandlot." he said.

"Why couldn't we have gone 2 hours ago? It's 10:00 and I've been bored since 8:00." I whined.

"Too damn bad, we're going now. Grab your glove and let's get outta here!"

I grabbed my glove and was about to head out the door when I noticed I wasn't wearing appropriate clothes for a whole day of baseball. I went into my closet and pulled out a pair of light-washed jeans, a Yankee cap, my black PF Flyers, and the most special part of my outfit, my best friend Alan "Yeah-Yeah" McClennan's short-sleeved baseball jersey. It was white and said "Yeah-Yeah" on the back in green letters. It was my favorite shirt I had, I wore it whenever I got the chance. Nobody knew this, and I'd never dream of telling anyone, but I'd had a huge crush on Yeah-Yeah since kindergarten. People always thought we were together in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade because we were always with each other. If we weren't at the sandlot with the other guys, we were together. They also thought we were together because whenever we were in the hallways at school, we'd walk together, and whenever we walked together, Yeah-Yeah put his arm around my shoulders. I just didn't get the feeling that he liked me back. I mean, I don't know, I think he just sees us as best friends.

"Come on sis! We don't have all day!" Benny called up the stairs.

"I'm comin', I'm comin'!" I yelled back.

I ran down the stairs and to the front door, where Benny was waiting with a smirk on his face.

"Race ya." he said, the same smirk plastered on his face.

"Oh, you're on, Benjamin!" I exclaimed.

We ran and ran until we got to the pitcher's mound at the sandlot. Benny beat me by a foot.

"I won." he said without expression.

"I know." I replied with the same voice he had.