Chapter 12

I didn't see any of the boys for the rest of the weekend. The next two days were pretty uneventful. I was worried about how Paul was going to act when I saw him again. Half of me wanted to see him crushed and awkward. The other half felt guilty about being such a bitch, but took solace in the fact that Paul was ten times worse.

Monday came around again and I found myself walking in the cold all by myself. Every now and then I would look behind me to make sure none of the boys were there. I wasn't sure if Paul would've told any of them or if he would be too embarrassed to do so. Either way, I didn't want to be questioned about it. It would give away that I know more than I should about them.

I quietly took my seat in my normal spot, being the loner that I was, while everyone else sat on top of the desks, talking to their friends. Not long after, George came in. I smiled shyly and looked down at my desk. He smiled back without saying a word and sat down next to me.

The bell rang right as the teacher walked in. Everyone took their seats and those who weren't supposed to be there left.

"Okay, class," the teacher said, passing out papers. "I'm passing back your tests. If you have any questions about your marks come see me after class."

I watched her hand George his paper. I didn't see what he got, but from the look on his face, it wasn't good.

Then the teacher gave me my test and said "Congratulations, Colleen." I took it, staring at the bright red 100 at the top. I hate to gloat, but yeah, I was feeling awesome.

George leaned over to look at my grade and said "How did you . . .?"

I smiled shyly again, not wanting to be that person, but I said anyway "I'm kind of good at math."

Other students were looking at me, but said nothing. I felt really awkward being looked at like an animal in a zoo.

The rest of the class, luckily, went by quickly. We going over stuff I already knew anyway.

Packing up my stuff and walking out, I was stopped when George called to me.

"Colleen, wait!" he said, nearly tripping over his desk. He went around people and chairs just to get where I was near the door. "Listen, I was hoping you could help me with math. It's not my best subject and I really need help and . . . I was just wondering if you could help me."

I didn't really want to. I treasure my free time. I was not made to be a teacher. I always made it ten times harder than it needed to be. But I was not going to be a bitch again. Not to mention, hanging out with a pre-Beatle was an experience too good to turn down. "Sure, George, I'd be happy to," I halfway-lied.

He beamed a big smile and said "Great. Thanks. Can you come over my house after school today? If you aren't busy."

"That sounds fine."

"Gear. I'll see you at lunch. We can talk more about it then. See you then." And he walked off to his next class.

I let out a giant sigh. Great, I thought. Another obligation.