Chapter 13

The bell for break rang and I went outside to eat my lunch. The air was cold and there was complete cloud cover, but I didn't want to sit inside where it was stuffy. Apparently everyone else had the same idea because most of the students were out here too. Even so, I didn't expect Paul to be out here. I figured he would see me and immediately go back inside, so I really didn't worry.

Eating my cheese and ham sandwich, I opened up some of the homework I would've had to do later today to try and get some of it out of the way. Math wasn't too hard. It was simple algebra. I started blowing through it quite easily. About halfway done with the homework, I hear two familiar voices. I look up and see Paul and George talking to each other and looking at me every few seconds, much like they did on the first day that I met them.

I pretended that I didn't notice and went back to trying to focus on my homework. But I couldn't. I was angry that Paul wouldn't chicken out and go back inside. I internally panicked about whether he would come and talk to me, and if he did, what would he say? And what would I say back?

I became so frustrated that I couldn't think about anything math related anymore, but wanting to look busy, I kept all of my work out in front of me. I was actually freaking out so bad that I completely ignored Paul and George now, too busy thinking to myself.

"Hey, Colleen." I was shocked out of my trance only to realize my worst fears. Paul was standing above me, wanting to have a conversation. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

Damn it, I thought. "Oh," I said, knowing the awkwardness that would come up. "Sure." I put my books away and followed him to a place a little farther out into the terrace away from most of the people outside.

Then he stopped and turned to me. He seemed confused with the teeniest, tiniest hint of embarrassment. "Did I offend you somehow when I asked you out the other night?" he asked.

Quite frankly, I think Paul McCartney was offensive to all women, but I wasn't just going to say that to his face, was I? "No," I lied. "I didn't think you were being offensive."

Then his face became even more confused. "Oh, was I too upfront?"

"No."

"Were you just . . . too shy?"

"No."

Paul looked down at the grass, completely confused, not knowing what to say. "Then I don't understand. Why didn't you say yes?"

I was just nodding to myself in my head. I bet no one's ever said no to him before, I thought. "Look, Paul," I said, trying to explain that not every girl is going to find him irresistible. "I like you, but not like that. I think you're really cool and a talented guitarist, but I just see you as a friend. I'm not interested in dating you."

His jaw dropped open in complete shock from that simple statement. "I don't understand," he said again. "Colleen, I think you're the most beautiful, different, intelligent, and all around amazing girl I've ever met and I would be honored if I could take you out on a date."

I blushed a looked down at ground. I was flattered by those words, but I was sure he said something similar to girls very often, so it wasn't enough to get me to change my mind. But still, having THE Paul McCartney say something like that to you is really incredible. "Thank you, Paul," I said quietly. "That's really nice of you to say, but I'm still not interested in you like that. I think we should just stay friends."

The level of hurt in his eyes was like I just ripped out his heart and stuffed it down his throat. I couldn't believe that a simple rejection would stir such a reaction out of him. He really must've never heard the word no in his life.

The bell rang for classes once again and all of the students began going back inside.

"I've gotta get to History," I thankfully excused myself. "I'll see you tomorrow, Paul." And I quickly walked away, leaving Paul in the grass looking after me.