Chapter 1 - In the Midst of Darkness

*Hey lovely reader,

You ought to know that English isn't my first language so as you read on, you'll encounter a lot of grammatical errors. Feel free to point out my mistakes but point it out nicely please. Happy reading!

Chapter edited by HappyMeMonster

~•~

I was sitting on the swing solemnly. The warm breeze of summer air touched my cheeks. I looked up at the horizon and watched as the sun sunk down to its bed, leaving beautiful streaks of orange and red in the firmament.

A small smile escaped my cupid-bow lips. There are more beautiful things in life that we should be pleased about, I thought. Open your eyes and you'll see that even small things count, but there are times that darkness consumes us. Sometimes we're not grateful enough to see it.

I was pulled back from my reverie when my phone vibrated in my pocket. I fished it out and saw messages coming from Mia, my cousin. She's not just a family relative to me but a sister I've never had and probably never will have.

Mia had been calling and texting me multiple times in the past few hours asking where I was. I heaved a deep breath. I stood up and smoothed down my maxi dress. I trudged my way out of the park and opted to walk home. I was walking on a dim, shallow road when suddenly a strong arm wrapped itself around my waist and another hand covered my mouth.

He led me into an excluded area where the bright moon was the only source of light. My heart was pounding so fast against my chest that it would explode, like an explosive device, at any moment. He's going to kidnap me, kill me and sell my internal organs on the black market or worse rape me and throw my corpse in the Amazon River! I shuddered at the thought. I shouted for help but unfortunately my words turned into muffles. I tussled against his grip but my strength was no match against his. Stupid muscles, stupid strength!

"Don't move." A cold male voice resonated through my ears. There was something in his voice that was demanding and full of authority. Brought by so much fear, I obliged. He peeked out from the wall where we were hiding and looked around the murky road. A group of men passed by. My breath hitched when I spotted the guns and bats in their hands. They seemed to have been running from something. I only then noticed the police car tailing behind them.

The mysterious guy removed his hand and detached himself away from me. I stared at him, shocked to see that his eyes had already locked down on mine.

"Thank-Thank you." I stuttered.

"Walking alone in the midst of darkness is far too dangerous for you, moo." He said. He looked about and when the area was clear, he turned his back to me and walked away.