Chapter 9

America's POV
I wake up to machines beeping next to me. I have tubes and wires stuck to every inch of my body. An oxygen mask covers my face so I can't talk. I remember everything, even though I wish I didn't. I don't have any right to be mad at him. He's a king. King's can do whatever they want. I am my own person. I don't need anyone to make me feel beautiful or special or loved. I don't need to feel those. I have myself and that's all I need.

I try so hard to convince myself this. I repeat it over and over again in my head. But the pang in my stomach never leaves. The knife in my heart is still there.

I don't know how long I laid there, or how long I had been out. I couldn't take the confinement anymore. I could feel the walls closing in on me, taunting me. I rip the wires of me and get up slowly. My knees are wobbly. A sharp pain rips across my body. I inch across the wall towards the door. I look to the corner and see Maxon hunched over asleep a chair. There's a lipstick mark on his cheek. His hair is messy and his cloths are wrinkled. The knife in my heart twists. I close my eyes and take a breath, then resume my inching. I am almost to the door when it opens and hits me, I fly backwards and land on a flower vase, knocking it over as the shards of ceramic glass embed themselves in my skin.

The doctor rushes over to me and tries to help me up. Maxon steps in front of him and easily lifts me up. His brows are furrowed and he looks furious. He sets me down on the bed, our cloths and the sheets quickly turning a crimson red. 

"What do u think you were doing America? I mean don't you even have a little concern about your health! You could have gotten seriously hurt!" He yells at me, his arms flailing. I close my eyes and shut everything out. I knew he was yelling because he cared about me, but he also cared about her. He cheated on me.

The doctor motions Maxon outside to talk to him. I can here there muffled talk. Realization suddenly hits me, where are the king and queen? Where are the girls? Did Maxon really end the selection and choose Daphne instead? My heart aches. I feel a tear slid down my cheek as I close my eyes and fall asleep.