m o v i n g

Favorite quote from this chapter: 

"A banshee is a woman or girl, rarely a man, who wails before a death occurs." - Ms. Kan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amadia Kan slept peacefully in the back of her mother's van, sleeping through the early morning. Ms. Kan, her single mother, looked up at her rearview mirror at the sleeping form of her 14 year old daughter. She smiled as a lock of Amadia's shining black hair fell onto her acne-free face. Amadia sneezed, waking herself up. 

"*yawn* Mom, are we even close to the new house yet?" she said, yawning and raising her head off of the tan seatbelt of her mom's old van. In fact, it was so old, Amadia called it That 70's Van as if it were That 70's Show. 

"No, sweetheart, we're not even close to the new house...we've just arrived." Ms. Kan slowed to a stop, and Amadia heard the van's old tires screech as her mom braked. 

"We're here?" she asked, shocked. 

"Oh, Amy, I've been driving this van for 13 hours! Well, you fell asleep, but still...I am seriously tired." Ms. Kan grabbed her keys and threw them into her tan leather Coach bag that weirdly matched That 70's Van. Amadia rubbed the sleep from her eyes, turning around to pull her Louis Vuitton luggage out of the stuffed mess in the back of the van that she and her mom called a trunk. Ms. Kan sighed, shaking her head. 

"Honey, just get out of the car, open the trunk, then get your luggage out of it." she suggested. Amadia's mom unlocked the car doors, and her daughter immediately pushed her door open and dashed out.

"Mom..." Amadia groaned. In the process of opening the van's trunk, everything that they had packed tumbled out of the compartment with the sad sound of a kid on a bike crashing to the ground. 

"Amadia Lucia Kan, what did I tell you? When we got into the car? What did I say?" Ms. Kan fumed, walking around her van to the mess on the sidewalk's pavement. Amadia lowered her head in guilt. 

"You said...be careful when you open the trunk if you are the first one out of the car." Amadia recited. Ms. Kan nodded, folding her toned arms across her chest. 

"Just pick up everything that is yours, leave everything that is mine, and then we'll wait for the moving van to come." Ms. Kan instructed. Amadia started picking up her Lois Vuitton filled with clothes, her Juicy Couture backpack filled with her electronic handhelds, and her small Louis Vuitton rolling duffel filled with her small belongings. She walked up to the house's driveway, staring at its magnificent, towering exterior that was the color of toffee. Her mom walked up next to her, sighing at their new house. 

"Time to get our new house keys," Ms. Kan said. She reached into her purse and drew out a big Florida keychain. Ms. Kan shook it, letting one detached key fall to the ground. 

"Found it," she said to herself. Amadia picked up the key and gave it to her mom.

Ms. Kan and her daughter stepped on smoothly paved, gray stones that led to the house's white door. Ms. Kan slid the key into its slot, and she opened the door. 

"Whoa..." Amadia breathed, stepping inside after her mother. They both took in the cream carpet, the wood dining chairs and table, the glass chandelier, the kitchen island and the shiny stove and dishwasher, and best of all, the outdoor guesthouse and spa area. Amadia felt her eyes tear up as she was pulled into a tight hug with her mom, who was crying too.

 "Oh, Amadia!" Ms. Kan sighed, sobbing with joy. 

"I'm so happy," she whispered, leaning her head on Amadia's shoulder.