16.

after lunch, i drive everyone home and make my way back to my home. i park in the driveway, lock the car and go in through the front door. once inside, i put the keys on the key plate and go into the kitchen to get water.

"i didn't know you have a boyfriend, margaret," mom says. i turn around and she sits at the table with her readers on, a mug in one of her hands and the newest edition of people magazine in her other hand.

"oh, yeah. we got together pretty recently and i guess i never had the chance to tell you," i respond, looking back from the refrigerator.

"i talked to nana and she told me. i thought you'd date jace, i really did."

yeah, me too.

"well, i just happened to meet someone even better than him, his best friend, actually. jace introduced us," i say, taking a sip of water.

"i'd love to meet him sometime! i'm sure your father would too. say, kyle comes home from brown next weekend for his spring break! how about then?" she suggests very excitedly.

i plaster a fake smile on my face.

"yes, of course, i'm sure that could be arranged!" i respond, trying to sound as excited as she was.

she smiles and nods. "it's a date!"

i return the smile and scurry up the stairs.

i go into my room and close the door.

i go onto my messages to text xander.

maggie
hey, can you give me noah's number? my mom wants him to come over for dinner next weekend and i need to talk to him..

almost immediately, he sends the contact to me.

xander
rough. good luck tho lol

maggie
hey now, your mom told my mom so either you or jace told her and hmmmm i wonder who did

i copy noah's contact into my contacts and press the message bubble.

maggie
hey noah, xander gave me your number. so, a bit of a sticky situation here..someone (either xander or jace) told mrs. norman about us and she told my mom. basically, my mom wants you to come over for dinner next weekend when my oldest brother is back from college. just wanted to give you a fair warning. maybe we can get together before then? (this is maggie btw)

i press send and ruffle my hair. maybe having a fake boyfriend is not that easy.

--