Chapter 17

A small yellow light on the control panel begins to blink the moment that Eira opens the door. It takes a few minutes for Alexander to notice it as he is cleaning up the melted ice on the floor and the control panel. "What's this light for?" he asks. Eira's dad, who has his attention turned to the monitors, slides over and looks at the light.

"Oh no." he says. "She's gone."

The words are barely out of Eira's dad's mouth and Alexander has dropped his cleaning supplies and is in motion. He runs out of the control room and straight to Eira's door. He reaches for the handle but pauses and decides to knock. He waits a brief moment before knocking again and when no answer comes, he opens the door.

The room is empty inside. He notices that the closest door is open so he runs over to it to look. There isn't much left in it.

A few seconds later Eira's dad is in the room. He and Alexander share a look. Alexander shrugs his shoulders and shakes his head. Eira's dad heads straight for the desk and finds the note. It reads:

Dear Dad and Alexander,

I'm sorry. I can't stay and let anyone else die because of me. Keep the pendant safe. I will be ok.

Love Always, Eira

p.s. I don't blame you for what happened with mom.

Eira's dad looks up at Alexander. "This is not good."

"You think?" Alexander replies.

"Can you jump outside to her?"

"I don't know where she is. I could jump outside, but to her? Without knowing where she is, is impossible. I need to be able to see her or know an approximate location. Being surrounded by the forest and with the water to our back is like literally trying to find a needle in a haystack, you should know this. Our best bet would be to get after her on foot. I'll begin to gather supplies. You should stay here in case she returns and to watch the monitors to keep an eye on any new guests."

Alexander makes his way to the door but Eira's dad stops him. "She thinks that they're only after the pendant. She doesn't realize that the pendant gets its power from her."

Alexander grabs Eira's dad by the shoulders and gives him a supporting squeeze. "All the more important that I get out and find her, and I will find her." He gives a quick nod and is out the door. Eira's dad follows.