Chapter 47

It's tough to a get a good look at the size, but I immediately know what it is when I see it. "That's...that's a dragon, a, a, real life dragon." Is all I can muster out in a broken sentence.

Alexander, who is in just as much shock as I am can only nod his head. I squint and try to get a good look at him with the only light source being the crysallium, it's tough to get a full scope of his size, but he looks like he could be the size of a transport truck in length. Surprisingly, my first thought is how it actually could have gotten into the gym in the first place. The dragon lays on the floor unmoving but somehow I fear that doesn't mean that it is any less dangerous. From time to time, its head will move as if it is anticipating something to happen and when nothing does happen, it will drop its head and look like it's back resting.

"This is going to make things much more difficult," I say to Alexander. "What do you know about dragons?"

"They are relentless hunters, they don't like bright light and their fire can melt pretty much everything. That's not the worst of it though."

"How can this possibly get any worse?"

These are words I immediately regret saying because usually when they are uttered, the question is answered. This case is no different.

"What makes it worse is that if there is a dragon here, there is mostly certainly an Achlys. Let's just hope that it's only one."

The second that Alexander finishes his sentence the gym doors slam open shedding more light onto the beast below. I get a better look and see that the dragon is not black in color, but more of a dark green. His skin looks thick and scaly and from my vantage point it looks like the eyes can see almost at right around its body. This makes me shrink a little further back into the darkness so as not to give away our position.

As I shrink back a few guards enter the gym dragging a body with them. I know the body immediately, it's my dad. All of a sudden my adrenaline kicks in and I feel an anger swell up inside in. I hide my hands because by now I am certain they are glowing that blueish hue.

I pull Alexander back a little further into the shadows. "Can you jump and get him?"

"I can get one or the other, they won't let me jump in twice. Plus with that dragon down there, you can guarantee I am not leaving you up here to fend for yourself.

I peek over the ledge and see that the dragon has not left its spot on the gym floor. The two scouts are working on chaining my father's wrists to two posts that now stick out of a specialized base on the gym floor. My father looks old and weak. My heart is breaking for him because I know what he would want me to do. He would want me to escape with the Crysallium and leave him to die. I just don't think I can do that.

Once the scouts have finished securing my father a figure walks into the gym. I can't believe my eyes, but it's Mr. Jamieson, the biology teacher from this school. Only it's not really him because in the last class I remember, I don't remember Mr.Jamieson having two glowing red eyes.

He walks over to my father and backhands him across the face. This causes my father to stagger. Mr. Jamieson did not appear to be a very large man in the class, but the force with which he hits my father sends the entire structure that he is attached to back a few inches. Before the structure comes to a standstill again, Mr. Jamieson delivers a crushing body blow that lifts my father off his feet. My father can't fall to the ground because the wrist straps keep him semi upright. He cries out in pain as he hangs limply from the poles with the straps digging into his wrist gasping for air. He struggles to take any in. I can hear it from way up here.

I can't take anymore and turn to Alexander. "My father, you need to save him. Get him out of here."

Alexander hesitates and then peeks over the edge.