Chapter 37

Jared and I waste no time getting on the I-670 Freeway heading west, trying to put as much distance between us and Columbus as possible. Jared is driving fast enough to pass the cars on the highway, but not fast enough to attract attention to our getaway.

I had to pick a few shards of glass out of my left arm from when the window exploded. So I sit quietly with a small container of Laney's miracle salve, rubbing it sparingly on the cuts, which again feel almost instantly healed, as if they were never there in the first place. I decide not to bandage them as they have stopped bleeding and it wouldn't be worth wasting any supplies, just in case. Jared was unharmed in the fight. He was able to find a hiding spot in between the couch and the wall. I am happy that he is unhurt. He has done quite a bit for me in the last week. Taking us in, driving us around and then risking his life to protect me.

He looks over to me and offers a reassuring smile. In the moonlight coming in from the windows of his Jeep, he looks older than a few days ago. As if the suspense of not knowing what is going to happen has taken a toll on him physically. I imagine that if I were to look into a mirror, I am not sure I would recognize the person looking back me. So much has changed in the last two weeks and I have done things that I am not proud of.

My mind flashes back to me pulling my icicle out of the body on the floor. Once the shroud had disappeared, all that was left was that woman's body. She may have been someone's mom, someone's wife and friend and now she will never return to that life. In fact, I wonder that if through her death, she will become another soul in the darkness, like I believe my mom is.

As we drive on silently into the night, I think about Laney and Alexander and their plan. Obviously, their plan failed. But how? Why? It sounded so perfect. Laney would appear as me and then all of those shadows would be off our trail. Were they killed? Captured? Or can these things just sense that it's me? There are so many questions that I want answered. If Laney and Alexander were making small jumps, they should have been able to jump from place to place and not really need much recharge for Alex. None of this is making any sense! And now, Jared and I are driving headlong into a trap.

In order to get my mind of Laney and Alexander and the sacrifice they've made, I begin to think of my dad. This is also something that is difficult to imagine. What are they doing to him? How was he captured? How did they find him?

Sleep rarely comes, even though I feel exhausted and Jared appears to be content with the quiet in the Jeep.

I watch out the window at the intermittent flashing red lights of the wind farms. There are literally hundreds of them on this highway.

I don't know how far out of Columbus we are when Jared finally breaks the silence by asking how I am doing.

It really does take almost everything in me, not to cry.

"I'm ok." Seems to be the only thing I can muster.

"If you want to talk, I'm here," he says as he reaches down and takes my hand in his. There is a sense of comfort in holding his hand so I tighten my grip slightly which is reciprocated by him and we continue into the night.

It's not long before I am startled awake. My head is groggy and it takes me a few moments to shake the cobwebs. Jared looks over at me and smiles.

"Feeling better?"

I do feel better although I don't know when I feel asleep but it must have hit me pretty hard and it must have been something that I needed.

I look over at Jared who is still waiting for a response, so I nod to him. He smiles at that and then returns his attention to the road.