Chapter Thirteen

"How do you know? How do you know something bad isn't going to happen?" - Marlin (Finding Nemo)

I was really nervous about meeting Crystal again....I mean, I'd never been on a real date before. I walked to her dorm which was not far from mine and she drove.

"You don't drive, Nick?" she asked. She looked so pretty, and I wanted to tell her but I was too shy.

"No, my uncle brought me to campus. If I gotta get somewhere I walk or take a bus." I explained.

Me and cars don't get along, but that's a story for another day. I didn't want to bring THAT up. Especially because it had been a while since I thought about that night.

"That makes sense. When I came to campus I brought this with me. I don't like to walk anywhere unless it is close by. Do you have your license at least?" she asked. I thought about what she'd asked and told her that I did, I just chose not to drive because it would be less pollution or some crap. I don't remember but a white lie never hurt anything, did it? We haven't known each other long enough to be telling our life stories.

"So where are we going, Crystal?" I asked, hearing my stomach growl. She had talked about getting food and I was looking forward to it.

"I thought we could go somewhere simple. There's an IHOP not far from campus, I figured we could go there and have some dinner." she said as I smiled.

"IHOP is so good. I am in the mood for pancakes." I laughed, rubbing my stomach. I had made a big effort not to wear any Disney stuff on this date, at Brian's advice. I didn't want to look like a dork in front of her, although I wasn't sure how I could make myself look any worse than getting my arm stuck in a vending machine.

"I like the stuffed french toast." she said as we pulled into the parking lot. We walked into the IHOP and I immediately noticed Howie and AJ were there sitting in a corner booth with two girls. Fuck. I hoped they hadn't seen us.

The last thing I needed was Howie to see me and start shit.

Crystal and I ordered our food, she got french toast with bacon. I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon and a side of pancakes because I was hungry. She laughed at the waitresses' reaction to my order but didn't judge me.

"You weren't kidding when you said you were hungry, were you?" she giggled as I took a sip of orange juice.
"I like my food." I replied flatly with a grin. We seemed to be getting along, this was a great sign.

"So what music do you like?" she asked. I wasn't sure how to answer, I didn't want to start overloading her with my Disney obsession. I liked show tunes but I also liked my rock and heavy metal.

"Um....I like Nirvana....Metallica, Journey. I like my rock music." I said, and that was the truth. I loved Journey a lot, something me and my dad had shared together.

"Nice. I'm the same. I like the pop scene happening right now. Britney Spears, NSYNC....98 Degrees." Crystal told me as she stirred her coffee.

"Who?" I asked.

"You mean you don't know NSYNC? Justin Timberlake?"

I made a face. I'd heard of them, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I preferred music that had a story behind it, not a group of pretty boys dancing and singing about love. You'd never catch ME doing that.

"I just learned what a New Kid On The Block was, don't get me wrong I like music....but do I look like someone who listens to them?" I chuckled.

"True. So how about movies?"

"Movies....I like comedy. Science fiction....but I will watch anything." I said. That answer seemed good. I really wanted to tell her my favorite movie was Peter Pan but I thought that wasn't good enough.