Chapter Sixteen

"Don't get too comfortable." - Hercules

"You almost ready there, Nikita?" Brian asked as I laughed at him. He'd taken to calling me various nicknames because we couldn't find one that stuck. I called him Sheriff because he reminded me so much of Woody, but I'd refused him calling me Buzz. I certainly didn't feel like a Space Ranger.

"Nikita? That's a new one." I commented as I threw a bag into the trunk of his car. We would be heading to pick up Kevin on the way, and driving to Lexington, Kentucky....which was pretty far.

I didn't know how I would survive a 13 hour drive with a detour in Orlando. Especially with the cousins. Lord have mercy on my soul.

"Well you gave yourself that name, remember? I'm gonna keep trying until I find one that fits you." he chuckled. I hopped into the car and after we stopped for some gas and snacks, we were on our way.

We picked up Kevin and started to move along but by the time we got into Georgia, I was feeling queasy. I didn't get sick on rides....but for some reason I didn't like cars.

"You okay, buddy?" Kevin asked, looking at me with concern.

I looked back, obviously about to hurl.

"I told you not to eat that breakfast burrito." Brian teased. He didn't tell me shit, he was the one who made them. Microwaved them. Whatever he did to them, I was gonna blow chunks. We pulled over in some town on the border.

"You poisoned it." I moaned as Kevin was inside a Burger King getting seltzer water for my stomach.

"I did not." Brian protested. We got back into the car and Brian turned on the radio, flipping through stations.

"You're all I ever wanted..."

"This is a good song." Brian commented. I made a face. I swear sometimes I wonder why he's my friend. I thought he'd be listening to Garth Brooks or something. Whoever that is.

"NOT THAT!" I yelled, not wanting to be reminded of a band Crystal liked. I was not gonna listen to Nsync. Not unless I wanted to puke again. We listened to another station and Kevin told him to stop.

"Wait, isn't this that Titanic song?" he asked. We kept listening and it was definitely Celine Dion.

"I'm not changing it." Brian said. Nobody argued and halfway through we ended up singing it....badly. The three of us sounded like crap on a stick....but it was still fun.

"This does not leave the car." I told them as Kevin laughed at me.

"You kind of look like Jack." Brian mused at the red light, smirking.

"No, I do NOT." I protested, pouting. I did not want to be compared to Leo whatever-his-name is. Great. Now here come the Titanic jokes. Can we send Celine back to Canada and forget this happened?

I finally fell asleep halfway through Georgia and woke up with my head on Brian's shoulder, Kevin was driving. I guess they must have switched at some point because Brian was leaning on me, fast asleep. It should have felt weird, but I wasn't bothered at all. I put my head back down and when I woke up, we were in Kentucky.

"Wow." I said as I looked out the window. The farm Brian lived on was pretty huge, with white fences and rolling hills. It was beautiful. I definitely wasn't in Tampa any more. Brian yawned and stretched, reaching for his seatbelt.

"Home sweet home." he drawled. I swear, every minute that went by....he was getting more and more country. His accent was coming back.

"Ew, what reeks?"