Confrontation

A/N: Hello there my lovelies! Sorry for not updating since Monday, i've had a lot of homework and presentations, and that, along with applying to college is a lot. I would've updated Tuesday night but PTX was making me emotional by tweeting my tribute and I had no motivation to type. But, here I am. Well, I'm probably not gonna update Through The Lens tonight, but I thought I'd update this. It's a mess, but we love it. Enjoy!

Chapter 3

Mitch seemed taken aback by my presence.

It was then that I realized that I had no idea what to say. There were so many harsh things I just wanted to scream at him. I wanted him to hurt the same why that I had hurt that day.

In my mind, that's what I wanted. But I knew, no matter what he ever did, I would never wish anything bad upon him.

He moved out of the way, "Come on in," he murmured, looking at the floor.

I reluctantly walked into the apartment and shoved my hands in my pockets, trying to hide my nervousness, before turning towards Mitch as he closed the door.

He faced me and opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off.

"I want an explanation. Now," I declared impatiently.

He swallowed nervously and motioned towards the couch, "Do you wanna sit down?" He offered meekly.

"Now, Mitch...please," I choked out.

He nodded and grabbed the back of the chair at the dining room table, before taking a deep breath.

"There's not much too it. I just wasn't ready. I panicked and I just couldn't go through with it," he informed me.

I shook my head, "Why didn't you tell me that? I would've understood. You didn't have to let it happen and then abandon me for 3 years without a word," I retorted. I already felt hot from anger. I hated talking about it. I hated even thinking about it.

His eyes were already glistening with tears, and he seemed to be at a loss for words.

I gave him a brief one-over, "I thought something horrible had happened to you. I was so fucking scared that you had gotten hurt, and that's why you didn't show up. Do you realize how much you hurt me?" I snapped at him, raising my voice slightly.

He closed his eyes and sighed, "I know. Alex gave me an earful this morning. He was right. It was selfish of me to ever hurt you. But it wasn't my intention," he assured me.

"You could've called. Or answered one of my texts. You knew what impact it would have not to, yet you still didn't," I pointed out, angrily.

"I wasn't ready to be tied down," he blurted out quickly.

I fell silent, and all that was heard was our shallow breaths.

He looked down as he rubbed his wrist nervously, "Ok? I wasn't like you. I wasn't ready to commit to one person for the rest of my life," he confessed.

I stared at him, breathing heavily and letting his words sink in. "So I wasn't enough for you?" I murmured softly. My voice nearly failed me at the realization.

He looked back up at me, letting another tear roll down his cheek, "At the time?" He started before shaking his head, "No. You weren't. That's why I didn't call afterwards. I was selfish," he explained honestly.

It felt like all of the oxygen was being sucked out of my lungs, "When we were together. Did you ever...?" I trailed off, feeling nauseous. I couldn't even finish the statement.

He shook his head quickly, "No, God no. I never cheated, I swear. I loved you, I really did. I had ever since I was 15. But I was a horny, young adult. Marriage wasn't a priority. That day is easily my biggest regret. You didn't deserve that," he continued.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting to get out of this. All I'd managed was feeling worse than when I'd showed up.

"You had to pay the price for my selfishness. That wasn't fair, and I am so sorry," he added.

I let out a long breath as I lowered to the floor, cradling my head in my hands; trying to soothe the pounding headache.

I didn't even have to look to know that Mitch had approached me and crouched down so we were face-to face.

"Why now?" I choked out, just above a whisper. He didn't respond. I slowly looked at him, examining the hurt look in his eyes. "I was finally happy again. Why did you decide to come back now? Why not earlier?"

He bit his lip nervously, "I didn't want to face what I did to you," he whispered, "I'm so sorry," he choked out in a watery tone.

I couldn't think of how to respond. I couldn't focus through the onslaught of emotions crashing down on me. He was too close for me to think straight.

His scent hadn't changed a bit, and it was still as intoxicating as it had been 3 years ago. Silence hung over us, and all I could hear was the pounding of my own heart.

I'm not sure who initiated it, but moments later, his lips were against mine. Just like old times, as if the last three years hadn't even happened.

"Why can't you tell me what this surprise it?" I asked impatiently, holding my hands over my eyes as I sat on Mitch's bed.

"Just...be patient," he replied.

I was nervous, to say the least. As a paranoid 14 year old, I was half-expecting my best friend to kill me. Why else would he invite me over and then make me sit on his bed without vision?

Ok, I guess that could mean something else...

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to that.

I heard movement coming towards me, and I could smell Mitch's distinct scent. I couldn't help but smile, knowing he was near.

"Can I open my eyes now?" I whined.

He didn't respond, instead I felt his lips press against mine softly.

It felt as if all of my worries vanished, and all I felt was pure joy and happiness, just like I always had when I was with him.

Everything was perfect again. I was where I wanted to be.

But as soon as the happiness settled, Alex's face flashed in my mind, and I pulled away in a panic.

Seeing Alex's hurt eyes staring at me was enough to make me fall backwards, and bury my face into my hands as I began to hyperventilate.

"Scott," Mitch blurted out worriedly as he reached out to me.

I peeked through my fingers, and I saw red. This was his fault.

"Don't touch me!" I spat abruptly, startling him. I sat up, trying to calm my breathing, "Stay away from me," I mumbled out before rushing blindly to the door.

"Scott, I'm sorry, I didn't-"

"Shut up! Don't-just-leave me alone," I spat at him before pulling the door open and barreling out of the apartment.

Once I was free from his trance, I took a deep breath and doubled over, trying to calm myself down.

A/N: It was short and shitty, but I want the next chapter to be separate. I don't have an actual reason for that, just go with it. Leave me a comment. I love you guys! Stay fcute!