IV-Romeo and Juliet is the root of all evil

He instructed me to wait outside while he grabbed something in his mansion. Being the obedient assistant that I am, I patiently waited for him for about five minutes. He ran back to me with papers in his hand.

I went through it and found out it was a script for some movie.

“Here, I want you to go over these with me. You participate in school plays, right? Then these should be no trouble for you.” Skandar assumed.

So, he wants me to go over these, with him, because I participate in school plays? Wait, how did he even know that? There’s no way, I never told him.

“How could you have known about my interest in school plays?” I asked, hoping he didn’t go to my school and demand for my permanent record. That is practically illegal, and very stalker-like. I crossed my fingers, waiting for an answer. And his answer was not at all what I expected.

“I googled you.” He replied, as if googling a person to find out about their school activities was actually considered normal. But then again, I actually googled Skandar before to find out what his favorite color was. “So, let’s go somewhere quiet and go over these lines, shall we?” he suggested.

I sighed and walked him to the nearest Starbucks.

There were some girls that stared when I walked in with Skandar. They were all gaping at us, some were even glaring. They must’ve thought we were some couple. Deep inside, I was like, there’s no way I could be romantically involved with this guy, okay? He is too handsome to even look at a squirrel like me. So I just gave the girls an apologetic look.

I asked Skandar what he wanted to drink and he told me to order the same thing I was getting for myself.

I always get the cotton candy Frappuccino, which is one of the drinks that are in the Starbucks secret menu. It’s basically just vanilla bean frap with a pump of raspberry syrup. But it seriously tastes like cotton candy, no joke.

I got to our table and told Skandar what the drink was. He took a sip and gave an approving nod. “So this story is along the lines of Romeo and Juliet. I was planning to audition as Romeo, but-“

“You’re perfect.” I accidentally said out loud. I winced as I pinched myself under the table. “What?” he asked, after taking another sip of his drink.

“I said we’ll work it.” and I gave him a polite smile. “Oh, Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name, if you don’t, please swear my love, and I will not be a Capulet no more.”

“Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?” he read, absorbed by the script he was holding. He looked so angelic when he read those lines. His eyes slowly moved from left to right while he was reading, and his brown hair practically shone. He looked up at me.

“Please just marry me already.” I blurt out and suddenly wanted to stab myself with Romeo’s dagger until I die of rust poisoning. Skandar bent over to look at my script. “Oh, you’re quite early. And I’m afraid you misread the line. Juliet doesn’t ask Romeo for a proposal until after he says he loves her truly and asks him to run away with her.”

We continued reading the script afterwards, and I tried my best not to blush whenever he said any romantic lines. Believe me, I tried. And failed.

Welcome to the tragic life of Zoe Berlitz.