Chapter 14

Scenes are a bit gruesome... Like blood and stuff...so if you're queasy, you can skip these and head straight to the last part! Thanks!

Sweat clinging to me like second skin as the hot sun glare down on me. Dry air felt like sand paper to my skin as I jog along with the rest of the platoon towards the conference room.

"Havens! Wait up!" I glance behind me and see Rivera catching up. At six' two with tan skin and thick black beard, he seem to fit in the locals easily. But his green eyes was the dead give away of him being foreign.

"Heard from Jean?" I asked him as we both walk in the somewhat cooler room. Thanks to the person who invented aircon.

"She's good so far, I'm worried I won't make it in time for their birth." He frown as we took our seats.

"Hey, knock it off. In two weeks we're out of here and free of this damn sand." I said, trying to cheer up one of my buddies.

"...and gonna get laid! My hand can't take it no more." Smith popped by my side with a grin. Has the beach boy looks with the blonde and blue eyes, he should be seen by the ocean not in a dry desert.

"Need lotion to help you? Oh wait...you have mine! Can't you use his? He smell more good than mine." I point my thumb to Rivera who shook his head at me and chuckle. Being the few woman in the camp, lots of testerone was floating around. I had to fit in to the group if I wanted to be accepted fully. I was lucky enough that my platoon was one of the cool ones that welcome me easily. Treated me one of the boys and never judge my capability because I had boobs. As the commanding officer walk in, talking died down instantly and all of us stood up to salute him.

"At ease soldiers." Letting us seat, he walk to the platform and told us the mission. Two weeks and were out of here. I feel excited about it but something felt odd today. Like something's wrong. Not wanting to jinx the last mission, I ignore that feeling. I realize later, I should have listen to my gut.

...with our disguise on us; worn out camouflages, combat boots and head scarfs to hide our faces, we stayed hidden behind the dry bushes feets away from a man that was leading us to one of the enemies hide out. Earlier in our briefing, we learned that there was a nearby Taliban group. An order from the higher up had told us to flush out the enemy and see what they're up to no good. Knowing this group stayed in the mountains, we have two locals to guide us around until we track down one and followed it until we reach here. We watch the man slip in between the stones, disappearing from our sight. Minutes later, we were doing the same with our rifles raised up, bodies tense as we stood on a semi dark under ground cave. Rocks crunching under our feets as we quietly as possible treak the tunnels leading to unknown places.

"Never like caves. Gives me the hibbies." I heard Smith mumble on our ear piece.

"What about your love for batman? He does live in a cave you know." I said, heard soft chuckle from Rivera as Smith playfully glare behind his shoulder at me.

"Save the flirting for later ladies. Don't make me spank your asses." Our Commanding officer Dan Marlowe seriously said but with a hint of teasing. We treak deeper in the tunnels, noting every twist and turn we take but also trying to feel our surroundings until we reach other underground cave with numerous tunnels. As they try to decide which path to take, I took notice on what's around us. There were huge crates around and a map on the wall. There were markings on it but as i stare harder, a gasp escape from me in realization.