iv

Kara looked around at the house that she could now call home and a small content smile bloomed across her face. It was rather small but still perfect in her eyes. Gwen had brilliantly helped her decorate and Kara had to admit that the girl had a great sense of style. She had managed to make the place look bigger and had brightened up the room with hardly any trouble at all. Morgana had also helped her buy the furniture, though it wasn't too extravagant as Kara would not need much.

Deciding to get out of the house now that it was all sorted, she closed the door behind her and made her way down to the arena. Arthur was practising jousting and she had always found the sport rather interesting to watch. She easily found Merlin and snuck up behind him as he watched Arthur prepare to go against Sir Leon.

"Hey," she greeted him and he smiled at her before looking back, not wanting to miss a moment. Kara noticed happily that Merlin no longer jumped every time she showed up beside him. It was a good thing, it meant that he had started to trust her.

The horses began to race at each other when a light caught Arthur's eyes temporarily blinding him and leaving him vulnerable. Yet, Sir Leon pulled his lance up, missing him entirely, rather than take the advantage. Arthur immediately climbed off his horse, rather furious, as he stormed over to the dismounted Leon. "Why did you pull out, I was wide open? You could have unhorsed me!" He demanded answers as he faced his knight.

"I was fearful that I might injure you, Sire," Leon said, polite and noble.

"You had the advantage. You can't afford to hesitate."

"I wouldn't have done if I were facing a different opponent. You are the future King, My Lord," Leon pointed out and Kara winced sympathetically. It was the same as the second day she arrived at Camelot, Arthur's knights refusing to fight their best when going up against Arthur.

"You jousted against me in the tournament last year. Are you saying you let me win?" Arthur asked, looking at the curly-haired knight in disbelief.

"No, My Lord," Leon said after a moment's hesitation which had been answer enough.

Arthur looked around and saw the way all the knights were looking at him, "It doesn't matter who I am! I do not expect any special treatment from you, from any of you! Is that understood?" The knights all hesitated before they nodded slowly in understanding.

Arthur glared at Leon before stalking out of the arena. Merlin quickly followed after him while Kara surprised herself by feeling something close to sympathy for the prince.

~*~*~

Kara was busy filling up Arthur's goblet later that night. She was on dinner duty with Merlin, serving the and the prince. It was not a terrible chore but seems as it consisted of serving a man that would kill her without a moment's hesitation if she even mentioned magic, it could have been better.

"We've received reports that a beast has been sighted roaming the forest near the northern borders," Arthur suddenly said. Kara looked over at Merlin confused but the boy only winked at her, causing her to grow even more confused. What was going on now?

"What's the nature of this beast?" Uther asked curiously.

"It is said to have the body of a lion, the wings of an eagle, and the ... face of a bear... I believe it has been conjured by sorcery," Kara watched as Merlin struggled not to laugh at Arthur's description, turning away to hide his smile. Now, she was growing even more confused, what was so funny? She admitted the creature sounded ridiculous but it also sounded quite dangerous

"Then we must destroy it," Uther stated firmly.

"I'll leave for the northern borders in the morning," Arthur nodded, taking a sip from his goblet.