x

Night had long fallen over Camelot yet the castle was still alive as a knighting ceremony took place. Kara stood next to Gwen in the hall of ceremonies, watching as Uther knighted the group of me men. He tapped each of their shoulders with his sword as he passed, declaring their new titles with pride, "Aris Sir Vidor, Knight of Camelot. Arise, Sir Caradoc, Knight of Camelot," The new knights all stood in front of the king, "You have been accorded great honour. But with that honour comes great responsibility. From this day forth, you are sworn to live by the knights' code. You have pledged to conduct yourselves with nobility, honour, and respect. Your word is your sacred bond. You will find no one who better embodies these values than my son, Arthur. Follow his example, and you will prove yourselves worthy of your title."

Suddenly, the sounds of swords fighting outside and guards grunting in pain echoed. Everyone turned towards the doors of the hall alarmed. They burst open and a knight dressed in full body armour entered. The crowd part just as all the Camelot knights pulled out their swords.

Looking down at her waist, Kara couldn't help but wish she had her blade with her. It made her feel more comfortable in that she could defend herself, instead of watching someone else do it for her. Unfortunately, it was sitting at home on her bed.

Arthur stepped forward and stood in front of his knights, looking at the intruder warily. The knight dropped his gauntlet in front of Arthur, who picked it up, eyes never leaving the visor. "I accept your challenge. If I'm to face you in combat, do me the courtesy of revealing your identity," He spoke to the knight in front of him.

The knight paused before removing its helmet only to reveal a wealth of long blonde tresses flowing down their back. Kara's eyes widened slightly, realising that the knight was indeed a woman. Her eyes were a dark brown as they rested, unblinking on the prince before her,

"My name is Morgause."

~*~*~

Kara remained in Morgana's chambers with Gwen that night. Morgana herself stood by the window, watching as Morgause practised her form and techniques in the courtyard below. "Who is she? Why would she challenge Arthur? It seems no one's ever heard of her," Gwen rattled off a dozen questions as the two maids prepared Morgana's bed for her to sleep in.

"I feel as if I've met her somewhere before," Morgana spoke quietly, catching Kara's attention immediately.

"Where could you know her from?" She asked curiously, but Morgana merely shook her head.

"I don't know." Gwen and Kara glanced at each other worried before Gwen shrugged and disappeared with the dirty sheets. Following her example, Kara pulled out the new ones and quickly put them on the bed, the appearance of Morgause becoming the only thought on her mind.

Day broke and Kara found herself standing next to Gaius on the outskirts of the arena. She clapped as Arthur entered the arena, dressed in his armour, and Merlin came to stand next to the two of them. Morgause was next to Arthur in the armour she had appeared in with no sign of fear or reluctance in her expression. Kara wasn't quite sure if the blonde woman was brave or a fool. After all, Arthur was well-known as the best warrior in the kingdom and he rarely ever lost a challenge. It was a dangerous thing to throw your gauntlet down in front of him but Morgause seemed so sure of herself that Kara held a shadow of doubt and found herself more worried for Arthur's wellbeing.

Waiting for the beginning of the match, the two contenders faced the king. Uther stood from his seat in the centre of the stands. He looked between Arthur and Morgause cautiously. "The fight is by the knights' rules and to the death," Uther announced reluctantly before sitting down in his throne.

Arthur walked over to Morgause and whispered something to her too low to catch. Morgause simply looked at him, clearly unafraid and undisturbed. Arthur's expression became resolved and he walked away from her, grabbing his helmet and putting it over his head. The two faced each other with swords drawn, waiting to see who would begin the match.