III

A.N/ I was literally that close. One of the best damn concerts I've ever been to.
···

The hunger felt like fire in my veins. The memory of blood pumping through me echoed in my skull. My mouth felt so, so dry. I had drunk several glasses of water, though nothing helped. It felt like slow and painful dehydration though you've several things to quench that thirst. Just not the right stuff. Kind of torturous.

I clenched my fists in my hair, surprised if I didn't rip out a chunk. It's overwhelming.

Deep breath in, deep breath out- you're dead, you idiot. What's breathing gonna help?

No matter how much pain I was in, a chuckle forced it's way past my lips. Sometimes I wage wars with myself inside my head. I'm a sarcastic twat if I've ever seen any.

Ryan placed a hand on my shoulder, and I couldn't help but instinctively jerk away. I pressed my back to the wall, wrapping my arms around my stomach. Anything to stop the pain.

"Chris, you don't have to be like this." He spoke softly, knowing I'm on edge. We all are when we get like this. Why did I even let it get this bad?

I shook my head violently. "It's day time, and I'm not.. I'm not a monster.' The last words came out a little less than a mumble.

A sharp pain shot through my head, and there I was, yet again clenching my skull, praying it'd all go away. Praying I could be normal again.

It's kind of like being diabetic for you humans. Just as you need your insulin, we need blood. I don't know what it is. I've never tried to find out. It's the only thing to satisfy the thirst. God only knows what happens if we do without. You'd end up killing yourself first. Words can't describe how goddamn painful it is.

"No one is saying you are. Hell, let me or Balz go get it for you. You need it, you can't just go without."

The words echoed around the room. I wanted to shrink away and desinigrate. He had a point.

"I'll be back." He said, grabbing a set of keys and leaving me be.

How he'll do in the day light, I'm not quite sure. I couldn't bring myself to care enough to wonder. Everything hurts. I can't see straight. I can hardly talk for clenching my jaws. Is this what withdrawal feels like?

My phone rung in my pocket. As much as it pained me to do so, I pulled it out, blinking a couple times before I could see the screen properly.

Ricky-
I had fun the other night. Maybe we could hang again sometime soon.

My fingers moved to type a response. But everything went silent, just before blackness followed.

---

Hands pressed to my body, shaking me. My ears rung. Their voices sounded muffled- a thousand miles away.

Something warm and sticky wet my lips. The metallic smell burnt my nostrils and lungs. My eyes snapped open as I pulled the hand closer, my animalistic side close to bending the bars of the cage I've locked it in.

A small chuckle filled my ears. The first clear thing I can really focus on. Everything has felt to far away.

Once empty, I held up the styrofoam cup with a questioning glance at Balz. He shrugged. "It's the only thing we had. There's two more in the fridge. They'll last about three days. It should hold you over for a few months."

I nod, pushing myself up from the floor. It's kind of amazing, really. How much difference there is and how fast. I feel over a thousand times better. I don't want to claw my veins out from beneath my skin anymore. It still burns and I'm still breathless. But no where near as bad. Sometimes I forget how it feels to be without.

I go a bit dizzy for a moment, though nothing I can't handle. I sigh deeply, tossing the cup in the trash before setting on the sofa in the main living room.

Looking around the room, I notice Devin is gone. To think about it, I haven't seen him in a while. Sometimes that worries me. He can be a bit of the bad guy. He'll get into some shit and stay gone a few days. He's always came back though. He can handle himself. Though I do prefer to know.

"Where's Sola?" I ask, resting my head on the back of the couch.

"Fucking around with that chick from earlier this month." Ryan said, sounding a bit irritated.

"Honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't killed her yet. Not like he's ever planning on getting serious with anyone." Balz spoke up.

I shook my head, kind of worried or more so concerned. He's never payed this much attention to a human for this long. No vampire does. Nothing we have against them, it's just dangerous to stick around for too long. That's why we bounce houses every few years. The more hidden we remain, the longer we can reside in one place. Kind of depressing. But hell, we signed up for this really. The only thing we thought about at the time were the benefits. Some of us weren't even given any choice or say. That's the saddest vampires. They don't really last as long, or either polar opposite: they'll go batshit and try to rule the undead.

We're ruled by some omnipresent force, I've theorized. No one has ever seen any 'elders'. It's just a popular name for tale sake. We do have boundaries and consequences. Other than that, no one really fucks with us. No 'chief vamp' or 'werewolves'. Those just evolved with time. Especially after the Lestat story. That shit went viral but eventually Dracula overruled all vampire related stories.

Though may I mention we don't melt in the sunlight. It doesn't immediately react as if we've been dropped in hot oil. It's slow and painful. Like being cooked in an oven. The burns last for days. I, personally, don't know what happens if one of us stays in the light longer than we can handle. Death, presumably. I'd rather not find out.

A thought surfaced, and I pulled my phone from my jean pocket.

One new message

Ricky-
If you can't, that's totally fine. I understand.

A grin spread across my face at his dorkiness. He's low key dork. You'd think he's all bad ass but really, he's just an awkward kid. I find it amusing and adorable. Maybe that's why I'm attracted to him in more ways than just one. For the second time in my memorable existence, I'm not just out for the blood.

I type out a message, sending it with a slight apology for my late response.

Meet me at the park in half an hour? Sorry, by the way. I was in the cinema. Hope to see you there x

I'm not just out for the blood this time.