Chapter 1

A tall shadow stood above me, holding something sharp in their hand. I tried to run, but my body wouldn't move. I looked down to see that I was bound. They stepped into the light. It was man, about mid-forties. He was wearing a white collar shirt that was stained with blood along with black pants. I couldn't see his face well. A light chuckle came from him.

" I have another one for my experiments?" he questioned. I looked behind him and found another figure. Though, their gender was unidentified to me. The rope dig itself into my skin, causing me to hiss in pain. He walked towards me. He then stepped behind me. I felt his hand lightly pat my shoulder.

" Relax," he told me. " This will be over before you know it." Whatever it was, he pierced it into my skin. I felt it leave back a stinging pain. All that could be heard in the room was my screaming.

I quickly sat up in my bed with sweat dripping down my skin. My body started to shake and my hear rate increased. I quickly touched the upper part of my back. I sighed of relief once I felt my scar. I gasped when the bed across from mine shifted. My roommate sat up and rubbed her eyes.

She yawned. " Alison, are you okay?" she asked. I nodded.

" I'm fine Jane. It was nothing more than a nightmare."

She nodded. " I'm just surprised you didn't wake Abigail when you woke up." Jane pointed toward Abby, who was still sleeping soundly in her bed. I got out of bed and headed towards the bathroom.

" I'm first for the shower," I called before closing the door. I turned on the water and entered the shower slowly. I sighed and slid down the wall of the shower. I lived at an orphanage Shadow Star. The only memory is when I received the scar and being found after being thrown on the side of a road. I brought my knees to my chest and buried my face. I've been at Shadow Star for seven years now and met kids that had been through hardships like me.

I jumped when the door was rapidly beaten. " Ali! You've been in the shower for quite a while now!" Abby called. I stood up and turned off the shower. Abby was always impatient about these kind of things. Every morning it would be the same thing. I grabbed a towel and opened the door. Abby was leaning against the wall when I came out.

" Are you gonna continue doing that?" I asked. Abby shrugged and entered the bathroom, closing the door in the process. Jane then crossed her arms.

" Well, that went well," she simply said. I rolled my eyes and went into the closet. I hadn't known Jane for quite a while, but Abby and I had been roommates for quite some time now.

I grabbed my brown sweater and shorts. " Are you okay?" Jane asked, walking towards me. " You haven't talked much this week."

" I'm just thinking Jane," I replied. I went into another room and closed the door. Though, she was right, I have been quiet these past couple of mornings. It's normal to have the same dream every night, right?

~

When I came back out, Jane was sitting on the bed, fully dressed. She looked up when she heard the door close. She smiled. " Abby is getting dressed now," she told me. I nodded.

" I'll head to the cafeteria. I'll save a table for you guys," I said as I opened the door.

" Thanks," Jane called.

Shadow Star is just like a regular summer camp, that's what I heard from my friend, Claire, at least. She only came here about two years ago. When she did, everyone asked her about the outside world and how it looks out there now. Claire looked excited when she told us everything. It made me envious that she remembers so much about her friends and family. All I remember is this damn scar on my back.