Chapter 7

Never Fade: Gabrielle Aplin

It was past curfew when I opened the door. I looked back to make sure that Jane and Abby were fast asleep before walking out. Ellen didn't tell me where to meet her, so I walked around, making sure that no one was following me.

" Alison," someone whispered.
I turned to find Ellen leaning a the trunk of a tree with her arms folded across her chest.

" Ellen, why did you call me out here?" I asked her.

She smiled. " You already know that you're probably in danger by now."
" Danger? What do you mean? From Owen and Anthony's disappearances?"

" The time will come," she said. " When you will find the answer, but for now....I'll answer your questions."

" Alright, did you really come from another orphanage?" I asked her.

" It wasn't really an orphanage," she muttered. "It was more like a place where I could learn combat skills." 

" Why is that?"

" Simple, because the world is falling into madness. There's something killing everyone in the outside world. They think that they're infected somehow." She turned her back towards me. " It's about time that they will find this place. I think your friends' disappearances spoke for themselves." 

" That's why," I muttered. " Wait, so are they alive or what? And what the hell is Ms. Coleman doing? She's not paying attention to what's been happening."

" I'll tell you sometime later, but watch what happens to Shadow Star. Watch it fall into madness, see your friends die--then you'll understand. Watch out for yourself Alison, I'll be seeing you once again tomorrow night."

" After curfew?" I asked. Ellen nodded as she walked off. As she did, her shoulders dropped. Was she really tense before? 

" Alison!"

I tensed up when light shined through the trees. Ms. Coleman walked out with a flashlight clenched in her hand. 

" What are you doing here after curfew?" she asked, a frown appearing on her face. I backed away a little as she walked closer. 

" Oh. Um,  I think I forgot something at the--Ah! Ow! That's hurts!" I complained as I was dragged to her office. 

                                                                               ~

Abby and Jane showed up at her office a couple minutes before we returned. 

" Ali, why are you with Ms. Cranky?" Abby asked, rubbing her tired eyes.  Ms. Coleman crossed her arms across her chest, with her jaw clenched.  I felt my heart drop. Not even morning yet and Abby already made her pissed. 

Ms. Coleman pointed towards me," Alison here was out past curfew. Did you two know about this?" Jane looked at me and shook her head. " No, she didn't tell us anything."

" That's why we're here," Abby said. " We didn't find her in her bed, so we came down here to make sure that she didn't cause any trouble." She looked at me. " And by the looks of it, she already caused something." 

" I want you to watch Alison and make sure that she doesn't leave her room again after curfew."

" But...I don't understand why she was out in the first place," Jane said, looking between Ms. Coleman and I both frantically. " Alison, what's happening?"

I shrugged. I didn't want to say the reason in front of Ms. Coleman. If Ellen wanted me to meet her again tomorrow night, then I would have to be silkier than I was. I cursed my own mistake. I was standing in the open where someone could find me.