Chapter 6

The rain continued to pour onto the grounds of Shadow Star, but despite that, the younger ones played non-stop--until they got scowled that is--but the day we all have been waiting has finally come. 

Everyone clinked their glasses together for the celebration of Christmas. The cafeteria was filled with decorations, that got the little kids excited. The cooks carried around trays of cookies and cake, almost like a real party. The younger kids ran around the cafeteria, most likely on a sugar rush, as the older kids were sitting at their tables, talking with their friends. I stood near the door, and leaned on the frame. 

Celebrations were really my style. It was always crowded and it made me uncomfortable. 
" Alison, what aren't you enjoying yourself!" To my left, was a excited Ellen. Her face was flushed from the heat in the room. 

" I'm not a big fan," I admitted. 

" What?!" she shouted in my ear. I winced and stepped away from her. " Why aren't you the type for parties? I heard from Abigail that you enjoyed them all the time." 

Yeah, that was before one of us went missing in this place, but I didn't say that. Ellen may have been clingy, but I didn't want her to get worried, since she's only been here for a while. 

" I have no comment for that," I told her. " Now, go and talk to the others. Surely, they'll enjoy your presence." 

She smiled and went to one of the tables. They looked at her like she was insane, but they let her join their table anyway. " She's giving herself a good first meeting." I nodded. By their voice, I had already known it was Adam. 

" Yeah, it looks like it's her first Christmas like this. You don't get that very often." 

" I know what you mean." His voice sounded a little sadder as we talked. Most of us had already known what happened to Adam, but we already decided not to talk about it when he's around. It would only make him sadder. Even worse, depressed. 

" How about we walk and talk outside?" I asked. " That should make your spirit come back to life." 

" In the rain?" he questioned. I rolled my eyes and took my umbrella from the holder. 

" Of course with an umbrella." 

~

As we walked through the rain, Adam was sincere about his feelings for once. I don't know I was the only one he ever told this too, but whatever makes him happy, I was happy. We found shelter later as we walked and sat there for the time being. 

" This rain isn't letting up," he said, as he put his hand out. 

" It's been like this for days, and you know when rain comes to Shadow Star, there's no change. It will be like this for a while now." 

" Damn, that means no soccer." I smiled. Soccer was always the only thing on their minds. Without soccer, they would be bored out of their minds. Not even reading applied to them until two years ago, when they were forced to read. 

" Hey, do you ever wonder what your childhood was like?" I asked. Adam nodded. 

" Yeah, I don't remember anything. What my parents were like, if I had any siblings like David and Max. There's a lot of things that run through my mind everyday." 

 " Do you remember jumping in puddles?" 

" Did you hear anything I just said?" he asked. I smiled and pulled him out into the rain. 

" Hey, what the hell are you doing?!" 

" Just adding something else to your memory." I kicked a puddle, getting him even more wet. I laughed. " See, this is fun, isn't it."