Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Mission 1: Hello Eve

The world is full of evil people, and we should cleanse it. Stabbing a man on his chest, shooting him point-blank or wringing his neck were all fine. Death by choking was acceptable, too—just anything.

To carry out these heinous acts is a great honor. Someone had to dirty their hands rather than just point fingers. I do think I fit the job.

They said I was a good girl, but I knew I'm really not. A good girl doesn't creep into a building in the dead of night to kill everyone inside. A good girl doesn't kill people, period.

The glorious words such as 'hammer of justice', 'savior', and 'hero' were far too honorable to describe us either.

I am part of Eve Project, the first stopgap of Ad Hoc Agency. They train good girls to be not so good. We are the hidden ace of The Commission. One could say we belong to a secret group within a secret organization.

After six years of playing spies and the usual, 'They're bad, you know what to do,' we finally found a lead to the cunning remnants of Consiglio Mafioso. So I was sent alone to investigate as protocol. In less roundabout description, I was a sacrificial lamb in case it was a trap.

A community in an exotic country would make sense for the Mafia's refuge, somewhere hard to find and low key. But I ended up at the Upper District of Beaumondville City, just a few grand houses away from the Orleonne Mansion, within a twenty-kilometer radius of the Commission headquarters.

A mockery to us, I must say, but impressive nonetheless.

"I'm in," I whispered at the earpiece.

[Caution Eve5, it has been years since we found leads. We have no current data.]

I'm not that stupid. "Roger."

I entered the Victorian house as quietly as possible, following the darkest shadow to blend into the darkness, as dark as my tight suit, a second skin. I couldn't even hear my own footsteps. Only the critters of insects and the barking of dogs at a distance filled the silence. Examining every crook and cranny of the house like an aimless burglar, it was empty aside from the furniture. Only the glass door on the living room that led to the terrace was open. The moonlight was too romantic for spying duties.

I paused. It was closed before.

I went through the dimly lit room with ease, like a cat roaming the night. Summer was definitely just around the corner, the humid air proved it.

"Good evening."

I swung to the voice's direction, already at aim. A figure of a man sat on the wide sofa. He wore a gray suit over a black shirt. The moonlight only reached up to his chest, and above it was a shadow.

"Easy now." There's no hint of nerve in his playful tone, and his voice was purposely low. "Did no one tell you it's rude to point a gun at people?"

"Who are you?" My aim didn't waver.

"Hmm, clueless, aren't you? I thought the Commission knew everything and everyone."

I shot a framed painting behind him as a warning. "Who. Are. You?"

He chuckled. "Your kind of people never know how to play."

"Are you Zachary Orleonne? What is your connection to the Kyosei Clan? Gustavo Qapone?"

"Do not use that tone on me." His voice was commanding now. "I'm not a prisoner, nor a convicted criminal. And why would you search those who didn't want to be found? The old Mafia is long gone. Instead of asking who I am, ask yourself. Who are you, Eve5?"