Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Mission 2: New Target

I grew up with no games.

While other children searched for the best spot for hide-and-seek, I learned how to track criminals. Simulation battle tests were the closest I had to games. When others went to school and studied how to survive, I studied how to kill. Fun did not exist in our bible. We're not supposed to feel envy. After all, I was told that I had a higher purpose among the ignorants.

So I didn't know how to play games. Adam Orleonne did, and he wanted to play with me. "Asshole."

"Vy znayete, my ne pozvolili zdes'." (You know we're not allowed here.)

Eve4 interrupted my little 'me time'.

"Going out?"

She was already in her combat suit. "As usual, clean up duties."

"Protocol says one must not reveal any mission even to other Eves."

"Same to you and your usual visits up here."

"Nobody would know if you keep your mouth shut."

Behind us was the blinding signboard of Noble's Palace, a casino hotel at the center of Las Vegas. A front, of course. The highest floors were used as the Commission's main headquarters. And the floors below the basement were for the Ad Hoc Agency. Agents and parts of the Agency weren't allowed to go up unless given permission, which never happened. Our existence was top secret; even some Commission members didn't know we existed.

"I find it fascinating," she said. "We can talk in different languages but still understand each other."

"Because we are trained to."

"But, I am most comfortable in Russian."

In a few instances that we had talked, she too had her doubts. The lights highlighted her aristocratic jaw, with features looking like a feline if ever it took a human form. She's one of the tallest among the ten Eves, and most nosy of all.

Though our instances of casual communication, friendship was out of the question. Attachment was unnecessary in our line of work. If one Eve dies, she would be replaced. No tear should be shed; we were taught not to.

"Does this mean I'm Russian? I look like the part."

"Curiosity will get you in trouble," I warned.

"Says someone who comes to the rooftop even if it's against the rules."

"At least that's the only rule I broke," I lied.

"As expected, it's a big bore talking to you, Eve5."

"And you are as nosy as usual."

"Hey, respect me. I'm ranked higher than you." She crossed her arms in fake contempt.

"If you die on a mission, I'll be Eve4," I bit back.

"Bitch." She made her signature smirk that lower-numbered Eves hated. "Savage comebacks as always."

I didn't know why she found my answer humorous. I was not even joking.

"Well, I won't die yet, I assure you," she said, preparing herself to go. "You'd be ranked 5th for a while."

She faced the east. "Do svidaniya (Goodbye), Eve5." Then she blended into the night.

I also disappeared next. If I were to play with fire, it would be dangerous to get burned. A good player should know the opponent, and I knew the perfect place.

—————

Relevant people were not the only ones with an office. Some were at the bottom of the food chain— running things underground, like The Triangle, somewhat similar to the Agency. We were working in the shadows, so were they, providing services for the good, the bad, and even those whose purposes are questionable, like me.