Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Mission 5: Eve's Baptism

"Very good. Very good," said the voice over the intercom, atop at the corner of the big white room.

I stood motionless, looking down on a figure sprawled on the floor. It was another girl, a little bigger and probably older than me. I forgot her name, something with "2" in it, maybe somewhere between EveCadet 20-29. Her blood was still dripping from the baseball bat in my hand.

Half groans and sobs escaped her mouth. A few of her teeth were knocked away some meters from us. The long cut on her forehead bled and endlessly covered her right eye. At a glance, it was as if someone poked her eyes out. I did it all.

I had to.

They told me we had to fight each other—the best wins. The best gets to be called a good girl.

Two uniformed men took her away. As always, the fallen would never be seen again.

Failures, that's what the people in black called those who didn't make the regular assessment. Now, that girl became a failure, because of me.

I swallowed a sob. The man in a suit who always visited us was now watching behind the mirror. He didn't like crying girls, he'd hit them. He said heroines don't cry. Tears were a weakness.

Unblinking, I stood acting numb as he entered the bloody assessment cage and patted my head.

"You're a good girl, a very good girl."

—————

In the seesaw of slumber and consciousness, I heard voices that I couldn't understand. There was a wave of overflowing anger, yet I couldn't vent even a scream.

I'm not selfish.

I'm not selfish, you goddamn assholes!

But I had no more strength. I couldn't even make out the shapes when I opened my eyes, closing them as fast. Figures hovered above my head, then I retreated to darkness.

Until at last, after a day of routine in and out, I was finally conscious enough to recognize a dark foreign room with no windows. Dull pain shot through my forehead and stomach covered with a bandage.

Despite the weakness, I pulled the IV needle with a little bleeding and exited the room. For seconds, I was blinded by the explosion of artificial light. With the wall's support, I walked through the familiar house's halls, back in Beaumondville, following the voices.

Reaching them by the ajar door, Bino had the loudest voice despite the simple question. "No news yet?"

"Not yet," Inno answered. "They'll call, don't worry."

"They better be. Those righteous people are definitely mad."

"Well, they went right into the trap, as Pete planned," Greco added.

"It's Adam now, idiot. Of course, it'll work..." But like his brother, Pink's tone wasn't as playful as before.

I stepped back before they could notice and hit someone on my third step. it was Jah, who faintly shoved me forward to be scrutinized by different pairs of eyes. "Saw a little mouse."

"Oh look, guys," Pink announced. "The traitor is awake."

"Double traitor," Greco corrected him once more. "She broke the Agency's rule, came to us and betrayed us too. Then the Agency betrayed her, and we found out and prevented it."

"Awesome tongue twister, isn't it?" Bino chimed, didn't spare me a glance, and was more interested in his phone.

Q and Inno just exchanged hesitant looks and no more.