Part 3 - Heiji and Kazuha Came For A Visit

ON THE WAY HOME FROM TROPICAL LAND

Monday, 6:44 P.M.

The girls could not stop talking about what they'd seen, even while taking a cab for home.

"What the heck was that guy staring at us for?"

"Guys, I tell you, he's probably some pervert who thought he could do us dirty."

"Well, he couldn't. Thankfully we didn't see him anymore. There's no need to worry about that any further."

"What if he's worse than a pervert? What if he's some murderer out to kill us?"

They all went silent after that. The driver, who'd previously been minding his own business, couldn't help but be intrigued as well.

"Sonoko, that wasn't funny." Ran frowns, crossing her arms and shooting a look at her best friend.

"I'm not even kidding! Aside from perverts, the only people who I probably know would stare at us with obvious bad stuff in his head in store would be criminals! Murderers! Do you even get what I'm saying?!" Sonoko retorts, eyes wide with fear at her own suggestion.

"Yeah, Sonoko, we get you. We're not deaf." Kazuha rolls her eyes with a smirk, then pats the other girl on the shoulder. "But I can assure you, he's probably just some dude who got lost and decided staring at girls was a good thing, when it's not. He's not even following us, if that's what you're so scared about." She looks behind the cab as emphasis.

Sonoko heaves a shaky breath, rubbing her arms. "Y-Yeah... yeah. You're right, Kazuha-chan. Thanks." She smiles at both girls sitting on either side. "Got so scared I brought you both in a tizzy, too. Thanks again."

"No problem." Ran said with a smile. But it was immediately replaced with a thoughtful frown. "But that man... I think I've seen him before."

Both girls piqued their heads at Ran, catching interest. "Really? When?" Kazuha asks.

Tilting her head, Ran hums in contemplation, finger tapping on her cheek. But then her eyes glow up in recognition. "I got it!" She almost exclaims. "They were men from the last Mystery Coaster I'd ridden with Shinichi. It was before a murder was committed."

From that, something else clawed at her mind.

Before he disappeared without a trace...

Ran shook her head.

He visits from time to time. He's out of the country. He's okay. I'm okay.

Something about those reassurances did not do her justice, though, but... they were good enough for her.

The cab stopped in front of the Mouri Agency, it's big bold letters unmissable as they walked out of the cab after the fare. Watching as the cab went off, all three girls sighed in relief.

"Whew... glad we're back after all that." Kazuha sighs, then turns to Sonoko. "Do your parents even know you're here?"

"Yep. I asked, and they said yes."

They walked into the Agency, feet padding heavily on the concrete. Ran and Sonoko slumped on the couch, tired eyes staring at Kazuha, whose fatigue seems to have gone as she walks around the house with a wary look on her face.

"Hey, you okay?" Sonoko asks, prompting the other to turn to her with the same worried look, clear as day. Sonoko finds herself flinching. "Anything wrong?"

Kazuha shakes her head. But the worry and alarm on her face seems to defeat that response's purpose. "No, I'm fine, just—" She scratches her head. "Gosh, I don't know where he could have gone—"