Prologue

~Taking Place In The Year 1425~

Fire.

Fire is the only thing to be seen for miles as the once glorious city of Apiranthos begins to crumble and mesh with the ground beneath our feet. The screams that once drowned out the sky, as well as the smell of rotting flesh have all but vanished now as the fire had consumed everything quite hungrily.

They thought they could overwhelm us under their numbers- that they could perhaps be the trap that sprung on the rat, but they were gravely mistaken, and now they've paid for their foolish pride at the hands of the very same fire they sought to burn us with. What they were trying to kill us for, I honestly couldn't tell you, but the moment they turned against us was the very same moment they sealed their own fates. And in standing here now, in yet another heap of ember and ash, it appears most small-minded humans would rather die than simply leave us be.

"Well this was a rather tedious turn of events." my lover suddenly appears behind me, whispering in my ear and slipping his hands around my waist. He pulls me back into his chest and holds me tightly against him.

A smile creeps over my lips as I sink back into his equally cool embrace and rest my head against his chest, "Oh chin up, Zainy baby. Just think of it as a few hundred less vermin to stand in our way." I say, twirling around in his arms and looking up to him and the thin stream of blood he's yet to wipe from his chin.

Watching as his eyes eventually drop down to meet mine, he just stares a moment before simply quirking a brow, "Yes but, at this rate, our food supply is bound to run low if you keep losing your temper." He scolds knowingly, lifting a hand from my hip to pinch my cheek.

Squinting as he starts to shake my head from side to side as one would to a child, I brush off his fingers and roll of my eyes, "It's Greece, my darling, they multiply like rabbits here." I laugh sardonically, leaning up to kiss his neck in the hopes of distracting him.

Grunting, he tangles a hand in my hair and yanks my head back, making it so I have to look up at him, "Don't change the subject, love. You know I'm right." the threatening growl in his tone sends a delicious shiver up my spine.

Biting my lip, I slip a hand up to his clothed stomach and slowly crawl my way up to his chest, "I know baby, I'm sorry... don't be mad ok?" I purr, twirling my finger over the material.

Peering down at me with a stern expression, he holds strong for as long as he can manage before inevitably sighing and crumbling under my gaze, "I'm not mad, just noticing a pattern." He notes, reaching up and cupping his hand over mine.

Looking around and noticing the way the once monstrous fire has started to dim in size, I peek back over to Zain, "We have to leave here now, don't we?" I cannot hide the hint of dejection in my voice, but it's clear that he feels my same dolefulness.

"I'm afraid so." He drops his hand from mine and returns it to my hip, "It's time to move on and find a new place to settle." he hums, glancing up and feasting his eyes upon the death and destruction we've left in our wake.

"What a pity the people had to turn on me; I did quite love it here." I sigh and peek back over my shoulder to admire the once divine architecture, now reduced to nothing more than rubble.

Zain is the first to pull back from our embrace, "Let us leave this place now. I've grown tired of the smell."

"As have I." I nod in agreement. I then pull back from his embrace and stand at his side before reaching down to intertwine our fingers, "Lead the way, my love."

FIN

Song:
Tarja - I Walk Alone (Instrumental)