2. To Catch You Up

~Present Day~

How does Zain expect me to sleep peacefully, when his elbow is not-so-peacefully lodged into my side?

"Zain, would you mind getting your dämn elbow out of my ribs please?" I groan, irritated by the uncomfortable feeling, but keep my eyes closed against the pillow beneath my head nonetheless.

I hear him grumble tiredly from the other side of the bed, "That's not my elbow." his voice is groggy and deeper than it normally is, not to mention being smothered in a thick coating of rasp.

I feel him shuffle around in bed for a moment before all is still again, and I furrow my brow before turning over onto my left side and opening one eye slowly, squinting from the bright sunlight breaking through our bedroom curtains.

"Oh yea, I almost forgot about our little guest here." I chuckle lightly to myself in remembrance, before moving her elbow away from my aching ribs and stretching my arms out above my head with a yawn. An unintentional moan slips out from between my lips in response to the euphoric feeling of my tensed muscles being worked out, and almost immediately after, Zain turns over onto his right side to face me directly.

He offers me a sleepy smile and lazy eyes over the woman's range of curves acting as a blockade between us, and I send him a matching grin in return, "Good morning, beautiful." I give him a playful smirk, taking his line.

He yawns and lets his tired eyes fall closed once again before then nodding in acknowledgment of my humor, "Same to you, handsome." he mumbles, but then crinkles up his nose in disgust as soon as he catches the scent of something rotten, "Ugh, god, we really must remember to take out the trash more often." he opens his eyes, with a now pinched brow, and casts his focus down at the girl.

"That we should." I agree almost immediately, as I myself recognize the same unsavory smell, "Well hey, she was good while she lasted." I smirk again, satisfied with last night's eventful turn out, and reach forward to take hold of a handful of her short brown hair.

Zain folds his arm under his head for support as he watches me with a similar satisfaction.

Despite her current state of rigor mortis, I easily pull her body up enough to push her off the bed. Her dead weight helps along the way as her graying corpse falls to the floor, like a brick of newly rotting flesh and bones.

"I'll tell you what; out of everything that heightened after the change, I'll never truly get used to the enhanced sense of smell." I complain, and scoot closer to Zain on the blood stained sheets.

He lifts the arm resting on his waist and then drops it over my hip as I nuzzle up close against his chest, then he tightens it around me once I'm comfortably within his grasp, "Well keep in mind, my dear Selina, that it has also been what's gotten us out of a hand full of hot situations over the years, that wouldn't have been so easy to avoid otherwise." he scolds me lightly in truth, and I immediately catch on to what he's referring to.

Over the years, people had - quite often - tried to burn us alive in our current residence, but I would always catch the scent of the kerosene as the angry, do-gooding, townspeople approached our home.

Of course, we would then come rushing out in a fit of rage and take them before they even saw it coming, but the point always remained the same, being that they would never learn.

Humans think they're so clever and 'original', when in reality they're just caught in a never ending cycle of stupid.

A wickedly amused smile graces my lips at the fact that no one has ever stood a chance against us, but I just roll my eyes playfully at his nagging, "Yes, I know, but it's never very enjoyable waking up to the odor of a rotting corpse.... Especially when it hasn't even started to decompose yet." I place my head onto his chest and lose myself in the silence of his inactive chest cavity, "I mean, Jesus, it's only been a few hours since she finally broke down..." I trail off, closing my eyes in a comfortable fashion.