Chapter 6: Hurt is Part of the Package

"Hey..." Carol pulls him from his memory of Beth and he looks up at her with welled up eyes and a runny nose. "Daryl, some of is are going hunting... You need to hydrate instead of sitting in this got car- you'll pass out from heat strike."

He hazily looks at her with disappointment. Doesn't she understand what just happened? He didnt get to say hello or goodbye. All he got to do was pat her on the shoulder- not even a satisfying hug. He'll never get to hold her hand again or tell her What she meant to him, she's gone and so aparently he isn't allowed to grieve over her.

Going out the other door, he trudges out into the woods alone. He's so tired of this bullshit- this pain of losing people. Falling to his knees after he's a good distance away from the others, he just cries and angrily beats his fist into the ground. It's unbearable, it's turning him back into a monster, a loner, an asshole.

"You gotta stay who you are, not who you were...being out here, you gotta put it away and forget."

"What if I can't."He looms at her in the moonlight, wanting to know that she's truly there for him.

"Then it kills you."

"Daryl." Glenn finds his way to his friends side and frantically looks him over. "Are you hurt?"

"No..." standing up, Daryl wipes his eyes and picks up his crossbow- continuing his hunt. Glenn just looks at him before heading back to camp where he finds Maggie hunkered over a fire crying her eyes out.

He has no words to comfort her- no one does. For the longest time, he knows she believed her sister was gone, not knowing made it easier on Maggie to move on. But now knowing the truth- Glenn knows she regrets it. She regrets feeling content without her sister- she regrets feeling somewhat at leave just cause she found Glenn. It's not fair that she lost everyone in her family. She is the single Greene left in this God Forsaken world. Going to her, he holds her close and kisses her head. It's all he can do- it has to be enough.

Back at Grady Memorial Hospital, Edwards stands over Beth's grave- tormented by what happened. He could have saved her. He too was plotting to kill Dawn, the day before he was thinking about drugging her, but in fear that it wouldn't work and that she'd end up killing him- he didn't. He knows he's a coward- on many occassions he's stepped back from his attempt at bravely doing the right thing, he just wishes he wouldn't have stepped back from this one. He seen Lamson shoot Dawn in the left shoulder, he quietly applauded it, until he remembered the velocity of the bullet going throw a thin mass like Dawn's shoulder would have a greater level of thrust to penetrate through- thus why it went through Beth's head.

"Wait...the angle of the shot, wouldn't have hit directly into the brain, but through the scalp directly...that means the trajectory of the bullet only got the very top of the brain- leaving the important lobes unharmed. The reason she seemed dead was that her body went into panic mode and slowed down the system! On my God!" Grabbing a shovel, Edwards begins to dog as fast as he can to unearth the girl below. Soon two workers come out and notice his madness. "HELP ME! SHE'S ALIVE!"