Chapter Four

Princess Katherine woke up the day after the ball, humming a tune to herself as she walked out of her room and down the spiral staircase. " Morning, Father, " she greeted her father, kissing his cheek as she walked into the dining room and took her seat beside of him. " What has gotten into you? " Lucille asks her, interested yet teasing. Katherine gave her a glare, but looked down at her food and began to eat. She really, really hated her sister.

" Lucille, eat. Leave Katherine in peace without question. " King Joseph snapped to his oldest daughter, and Katherine smiled faintly. She had to admit, despite how much they got on each other's nerves, her father did love her. She was his little girl, as he called her. " So, Katherine... " and just like that, Katherine's brief liking of her father had ended. She knew that they were going to talk about her future, which suitor she would choose, things of that extent.

" I met a suitor last night, Father. A really great one! " Katherine said, excitedly remembering the boy she had met last night. Lucille narrowed her eyes, her father shot her a disapproving look, and Katherine immediately realized her mistake. She had spoken too loudly. " Sorry, " she blurted, and Lucille snorted with laughter. " Well, what was his name, love? " Joseph asked Katherine, but not before he shot Lucille a sharp look.

" Jack, " Katherine could've swooned at the mention of his name. True, she wasn't one to swoon over men, but he had made her feel free. Even if it was just for a night. " Ah, yes. That boy. " Lucille mumbled, Katherine hoping that her father would choose to ignore his eldest daughter. But he didn't.

" What do you mean, Lucille? " he inquired, looking at Katherine then at Lucille, who smirked and continued to look very smug. " The boy Katherine met is not of noble stature, nor is he related to such. " Lucille said, raising an eyebrow at her sister. Katherine could've sworn that she would have slapped her sister, had her father not been there. " Well, the boy has to have an occupation! " replied Joseph, glancing at Katherine hopefully. Lucille seemed to absolutely delight in Katherine's misery.

" He's a newsie, " Lucille said, and King Joseph looked like he could have exploded with rage. " You will not talk to him, " he told Katherine, who continued to glare at her sister. " But, Father-! " she argued as the man got up from the table. Joseph went to his office, not speaking to anyone for awhile. He just stayed there for the rest of the day.

And that worried Katherine deeply, for her father was capable of much.