Thanatos : The Red Dawn (Book 1) Prologue

© 2015 by Danelle Dreyer. All rights received.

No copy, in any form or manner, of this work is permitted.

Personally contact the author in case of an enquiry.

"Eyes black, big paws andIts poison andIts blood And big fire, big burnInto the ashes of no return

Its poison and
Its blood
And big fire, big burn
Into the ashes
of no return..." - Fever ray, The wolf

His heavy feet dragged the cold shadows with him

There was a fine scent of pine and burnt coal in the air as Death approached. The well-shaded figure on the gold, shadow cast throne fidgeted ever so slightly, like a snake. The room grew even quieter. The cold desolate breeze vanished and was replaced with...nothingness.

The large dome didn't flinch as a heavy, but agile foot placed itself firmly onto the black marble of the path leading up to its master.

Everything in the room seemed to stand utterly still, somehow afraid it would be spotted. A shiver made its way down the large hall. The creak of a large gate sounded off in the distance as the cloaked figure moved a steady hand to his head, gently removing the hood that covered his identity.

A throat cleared. "You've come quicker than I'd hoped." The large, intimidating figure on the shrouded throne moved his hands to his pointed chin.

A clang of chains rained in the distance.

"My schedule suddenly...opened up."

The black figure smiled down; "How convenient."

A frown settled on Death's lips. His eyes glanced upwards to the dark figure. It was cast in shadow, as usual. And mortals thought he was enigmatic.

"If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to finish this discussion before the world plummets into obscurity. You know how these mortals are."

A skeletal finger tapped at the pointed chin. "Hmm..." The figure stood up slowly, as if any sudden movements would strain his back. "I see your tongue has not dulled since our last meet."