Part 3

Anri groaned the next morning with a sore back from sleeping on a mattress she wasn't used to, while she struggled to open her crusty eyes.

"God, it's about time you woke up." An irritable voice commented in displeasure.

But the girl grumbled inaudible words and pressed her nose into the pillow.

"Get up." He ordered.

She just groaned again.

Frustrated, he kicked the headboard with what seemed to be all of his strength, startling the girl to full consciousness. She sat upright abruptly, blinking rapidly to clear her hazy vision. "What the... hell?" She mumbled with a coarse voice.

"I should be the one saying 'what the hell.' It's the middle of the day." Ayato grunted as if he hadn't just violently forced the girl awake.

"Eh...?" Anri's eyelids fluttered as she furrowed her brows, trying to comprehend what was going on her sleepy state. "You just... kicked the headboard... right beside my head."

"You wouldn't wake up." He shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

"So that gives you a reason to nearly kill me?" Her eyebrow twitched.

"I didn't kill you."

"You could've."

"Whatever."

A prominent vein pulsed in the girl's temple as she clenched her fists. "You wouldn't care if you ended up killing me, even by accident?"

"Should I care?"

"If I'm stuck living with a brat like you, then yeah, you should."

"Whatever. Just get ready, we have somewhere to go."

Anri fell backwards on the mattress with a sigh. "You took away my life. I don't have anywhere to go."

"You have a new life with Aogiri. And then there's the fact that I'm not allowed to leave you alone." He then grumbled, "Not that it matters to me if you get killed."

"I don't need a bodyguard or babysitter or whatever you think you are."

"Do you think I want to babysit a girl who's the same age as me?"

"Same age?" She blinked in surprised. "Ayato, you're the same age as me?"

He pulled on his lower eyelid and stuck his tongue out at the girl. "Duh."

"Really?"

"I'm seventeen, idiot."

"I guess it's hard to tell. I mean, you have the temperament of a twelve-year-old, and you're kind of short for seventeen, too." She commented, trying to grasp onto the concept that he really was the same age as her.

A dark aura consumed Ayato as the girl could feel the rage emanating from his body. His blue eyes were hidden behind the shadow of his bangs as he growled. "What was that?"

"The immature part or the short part?"

He suddenly attacked her, pushing her down against the mattress with a remarkably tight grasp on her shoulders, causing her to wince in pain.

"You can't call me 'short.' I'm taller than you, dumbass." He snarled in surprisingly extreme anger.

"Ay...a...to..." She forced.

"Shut up!"

In an attempt to free herself, Anri wrapped her leg around the bend in the boy's knees, and with her other leg, she used all of her strength to force her knee into his gut.