Part 18

The strong, slightly sweet scent of coffee wafted through the air, luring Anri awake. She didn't feel Ayato's arms protectively encompassing her, and she immediately worried that it had all been a dream.

But the mattress, the slight warmth emanating from one side, and the sweet scent she adored -- it was all familiar signs that she was with Ayato.

She opened her eyes slowly and got up. She quietly crawled from the bed, making sure not to alert the boy, and stood at the doorway, leaning on the wooden frame.

He was entirely focused on brewing the coffee, not noticing the slight squeaking when she got off of the bed.

She quickly and silently approached him, wrapping her arms around his torso and pressing her head to his back.

She felt him jump in surprise, but he calmed as soon as he realized it was just her. She took a deep breath, and Ayato questioned, "What are you doing?"

"You smell nice." She muttered.

"Psh. Loser." He teased.

"You're the loser, shorty."

She knew he was irritated by her comment as he hissed, "Says the one who barely reaches my shoulders."

"You're still short for a boy."

"I'm taller than you, so shut it." He spat.

"You love me."

"Well, you're crazy about me."

She started to laugh and let go of him, leaning on the counter behind her. "I think you're crazier about me."

"That's not what your kiss said." He faced her wearing a greedy smirk and grabbed both of her tiny wrists with one hand, then cupped her cheek with the other.

"Eh?!" Her face became bright red.

"If you kiss me like that, I'll let you go." He hummed, enjoying teasing her. "I have to punish you for calling me short."

She turned away, refusing to comply. "Ayato..." She whined.

"All you have to do is kiss me."

"You're going to ruin the coffee!" She yelped, trying to get his focus off of her.

Ayato groaned bitterly and clicked his tongue as he released her. "Such a buzzkill."

Little did he realize, no one had made Anri feel so flustered or made her heart flutter so wildly. He did make her crazy and irrational, but she didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing that.

Meanwhile, Ayato wondered if she knew how crazy she made him feel. He wasn't aware that such a feeling was possible, and regretted everything he had done before with other girls -- although they primarily ended up as food. Now, his life revolved around her. He knew that from the point he had kissed her, everything he did would be for her sake, with her in mind.

"Is the coffee okay?" Anri asked casually.

The boy grumbled, "You care more about the freaking coffee than your boyfriend." And he tended to the brew.

"What was that?" She hummed, having fully heard him. "I don't think I ever agreed to be your girlfriend..." She couldn't keep a smile from spreading on her face.

"Well, you kissed me pretty passionately yesterday and you said you like me." He reasoned. "Is there a reason not to be my girlfriend? It should be an honor to be with me."

"Maybe because you're an egoistic, short brat." She spat.

"The coffee's done." He stated, immediately turning on his heel and trapping the girl between his arms as he placed them on either side of her on the counter. "And you're a naughty brat for calling me 'short.'" He said with a threatening tone, although he wore a wide smirk. "I think I should punish you for that."