Part 8

Anri was particularly bubbly that day, walking giddily in a sweater and scarf. Ayato had his hands stuffed in his pockets as he casually walked beside her, questioning her actions. "Why are you so giddy?"

"Is it not okay to be happy?"

"That's not what I mean. You're just weirdly happy."

She smiled. "It's Christmas season."

"Christmas?" He scoffed bitterly. "Why would you care about that?"

She thought for a moment. The holiday hadn't really been specifically exciting, and she hadn't really had anyone to spend it with. The previous year, she spent Christmas Eve with Eichi, but his parents asked that he spend Christmas day with them.  They never expressed their disliking for Anri, but they never actually liked her either. Either way, she convinced herself it was better so that she wasn't forced to eat a bunch of human food.

"I guess it's because I have someone to spend it with this year." She grinned at him.

A light pink color was dusted on his cheeks. But as soon as it appeared, it was gone and he pinched her round cheek. "You're such a dork. What makes you think that I'll spend Christmas with you?"

"Do you have anyone else to spend it with?"

"It's more like: Why would I celebrate Christmas?"

"Because it's fun."

"How is it fun?"

"Because you get to admire sparkling lights on evergreen trees, buy presents for those you care about, sing to silly carols that for some reason always make us happy, and just spend time with people who are close to us in the festive season."

He narrowed his dark eyes at the girl. "That sounds stupid."

"You're stupid." She said as they approached a shopping center in the city. "C'mon, just listen. How can that music not make you happy?"

"Music doesn't make me happy. The person singing does."

"Does my voice make you happy?" She hummed, partially teasing him.

But his slow response told her that he was actually considering an answer. "I guess so."

She looked away, trying to hide her flushed face from him. "Um, thanks..." She mumbled.

Ayato released a displeased groan as they entered the shopping mall, bustling with cheery people among festive Christmas decorations. He knew it was going to be a very long day.

Anri bounced from store to store, choosing clothes to try on and buy. She even convinced the boy to carry some of her bags. "Geez, where do you get all the money for this stuff?"

"Tips from performing at the bar." She informed. "I mean, it's not like I spend it on food or anything."

"True."

She seemed to slow her pace at the display window of one store, her smile becoming sad as she looked at the elegant gowns that she would never wear. However, this subtle change in her behavior did not go unnoticed by the boy. He felt that from being with her so often, he was able to understand every change in her demeanor, no matter how slight.

She tried to brush off the longing expression, but the boy tugged on her arm, not letting her pass up the opportunity. "It won't hurt to try on some."

"I don't need to spend time trying on fancy gowns. It's not like I'm going to buy one." She chuckled distantly.

"It's fine." He practically pulled her into the store.

The girl was overwhelmed by the amount of gorgeous gowns in the store, unsure of where to even start looking. Luckily, an employee approached them.