Chapter 8 - Chasing Shadows

Lukas sprinted through the woods after Julian's scent. For some reason, the trees that he passed through seemed familiar. He could smell burnt wood. Julian's other accomplices had set the forest on fire.

A high pitched scream echoed through the heat.

"Krystal!"

Lukas struggled through the flames.

"Krystal where are you!"

"Lukaaaas!"

"Krystal!"

Other wolves leapt out of the flames and attempted to hold Lukas back, but he fought with a new heart. He fought for love - and nothing could stand in his way. Each wolf that made it's move on Lukas was either brutally ravaged by canine-filled jaws or thrown into the fires by his mighty claws.

Lukas followed the screaming and calling to the edge of a cliff where Julian held her hostage.

"Julian you son of a bitch!"

"Ha! She's your bitch too brother" Julian snickered.

"So - what's it gonna be Lukas?"

"What?"

"You know damn well what I'm talking about - join me"

"like hell!"

"does it look like you have a choice right now?"

Julian held Krystal a little further over the ravine.

"No don't - !"

"Then join me!"

Lukas stood on time... he was put on a leash and Krystal was who bound him...

"Lukas... this isn't even about our father anymore. As soon as we're done with him - this world - these humans cannot stop us"

Lukas closed his eyes and breathed heavily, his heart pumping iron and brimstone.

"You would be your own king over your own land - and depending on better circumstances - I might even let your blondie human here live to become your mate and queen"

Lukas opened his eyes to see the moon reflected in Krystal's eyes - frightened. A thing of beauty - damaged by things she had never seen or comprehended.

The atmosphere became tense. The air became thicker with the bellowing of smoke engulfing everything behind him. Streams of steam came off Lukas' strained from running - from struggling - from battle. Lukas howled at the moon, then a sudden power launched his feet to Julian and for a split second, they glared into each others eyes and bared the rage and hatred of each other before Lukas ran him over into the abyss below.

Mid-air, Lukas grabbed Krystal then gave a heavy kick to Julian who fell further below. With all his might Lukas threw Krystal who landed back onto the cliff edge, but Krystal lost consciousness from the shock of the fall.

Julian and Lukas fought a bloody battle mid-fall - slashing and biting and tearing each other to pieces. Julian tried to launch himself from Lukas and hold on to the cliff-side, but Lukas held onto his leg.

Julian's claws were dug deep through the rock, while Lukas felt heavy - tired - and he couldn't hold on.

"well - you obviously can't see beyond the veil of reality - I was chosen for greater purposes and I look to a greater future. And you're just a daydreaming philanthropist playboy! This is farewell... my dear brother..."

With one swift kick, Lukas fell deeper into the darkness below.