12-Calm Before the Storm

"Does this happen often?"

"Yes father, every time we have a case."

"Interesting..."

Mai opened her eyes slowly, groaning as she sat up slowly, a hand to her head. Martin and Luella were looking at her with excitement and worry, Oliver was reaching for her from Luella's arms, and Naru was sitting next to her on the couch.

"Mama!" Oliver cried out happily and Mai stood with a smile, quickly taking the babe and tickling him before settling down on the couch again.

"Mai, what did you see?" Naru spoke up as Martin leaned eagerly forward in his seat and Luella rolled her eyes. Mai bounced Pliver on her knee as she furrowed her brow in thought.

"Well first I saw Oliver's parents get married, their umm, their wedding night, the labor and I was viewing the day they brought him home from the Hospital when I was yanked to the regular place for my dreams." She hugged Oliver to her chest, kissing his head.

"Do you have a brother?" Mai continued, oblivious to the gasps and stillness of the three people in the room. "He told me Masako was missing now, and to stop calling him Naru because he wasn't you. Now that I think about it I knew it wasn't you, your eyes are different and so are your smiles." Oliver gurgled and reached up to grasp a lock of brown hair.

"Thank you Mai. Please stay here with Oliver and," Naru paused, taking a deep breath before deciding that it was time. "And my parents. I will explain everything to you after the case." And with that he walked out the door without a glance back.

~x-X-x~

"Naru! You're back!"

"Where's Mai?"

"Masako has gone missing!"

"You are making too much noise." The black haired teenager rubbed the bridge of his nose, trying to stop the building headache. Everyone stopped talking and then stared at him, waiting for him to answer their questions.

"Now..."

~x-X-x~

"Would either of you like some tea?" Luella smiled as she watched the brown haired girl putter around the kitchen with a baby on her hip. She knew her thoughts might not happen but it was still nice to think about having grandchildren.

"Yes dear thank you." Martin was sitting next to her, staring in awe at the girl. After a quick arm slap he began to question her.

"When was the first time you astral projected?" Mai paused in pouring the tea, tilting her head to the side as she thought.

"Right after I met Naru I think. I was working on a case at my school with him because I accidentally broke Lin's leg. One night a shelf fell on me after some poltergeist activity and when I next open my eyes I see floating balls of light and a glowing recreation of my boss." She handed the tea to both of them before sitting down in the floor with Oliver and a small stuffed blue ghost. Her mind drifted quickly to what Naru had said before he left, her thoughts twisting back and forth in the back of her mind before she shook them clear.

Oliver smiled as he watched his uncle. The glowing man was standing in front of Mai, staring with tears in his eyes at the two new people. It was very clear3wqa that he loved them. Maybe he was sad because he couldn't hug them like mommy hugs him?

Mai smiled as she watched her son play. He was so innocent and sweet and-Oliver yawned and rubbed his eye tiredly.

"Time for bed mister!" Mai scooped up her son and took him back to Naru's room. Quickly changing him into dark blue pajamas, she sat him down on the bed before changing once more into Naru's sweatpants and shirt. Her boss had let her keep them since he rarely wore them.

The two headed back out and Mai blushed at the grin on Luella's face and the raised eyebrow on Martin's.

"Do you two have a place to sleep?" Luella nodded at the question, her mind quickly running through what colors would go good in her sons wedding.

"We have a room in the floor above you. Goodnight Mai." And with that the two quickly left.

Mai smiled and then headed back to the bedroom with a half asleep Oliver.

"You'll be sleeping with-" She paused, shaking her head before continuing with a soft sigh. "With little ghost tonight."

After the baby was put down, Mai headed back to the kitchen and settled down with a cup of tea. It was time to sit and figure out what was happening. Closing her eyes, she slumped at the table.

"Hello again Mai. I believe you've come for some answers?"

_____________________________________________________________________________________

And that's the twelfth chapter! I know that it's a little boring but I'm going to be wrapping up the Urado case in the next chapter so I hope you'll forgive me!

Happy Halloween! I hope you all enjoy whatever it is that you have planned! I should have the next chapter within another month, two tops!

Question: How do you think Mai will react? Naru has been keeping his reaction bottled up for the case, how do you think he'll react when Mai tries to talk to him about it? What do you think is going to change about how the case is solved?

EDIT: So I went back after the first comment to look at the Author's Note and I realized that I NEVER POSTED THIS CHAPTER WHEN I FINISHED IT!!!!!! DX I feel so bad! However to make up for that I do have some good news...THE NEXT CHAPTER IS HALF WAY DONE!!!! YAY! I now it's not the best present for you guys but it's all I have to give! So HAPPY NEW YEAR! To those in a different time zone, I wish you happy holidays, simply because it will cover all holidays/birthdays and I don't have to worry about insulting anyone! I don't like doing that....