02~A Place to Stay

Mai's POV

I smile as Oliver snuggles into my chest.

"Mai. You have to explain this to the others soon. Lin says they've been waiting for an hour now." I glance at Naru. He was staring at Oliver with a soft look.

"Alright. Can you rock him while I go talk to them please? I don't want him to wake up." Our voices were hushed. Naru nods and walks over to me, gently taking Oliver from me and cradling him to his chest. I smile softly as Oliver snuggles into his chest, wrapping his small fingers in his shirt.

"Thanks Naru. I'll be back in ten minutes I promise." Naru nods and sits in his chair, motioning towards the door. I rush out the door, quietly shutting it behind me.

"Alright Mai! WE-" I turn around and tackle Ayako, my hand going over her mouth.

"Shush! Oliver is sleeping!" Everyone freezes and I get off the Shrine Maiden, pulling her to her feet.

"Now, Oliver is an orphan. He's part of the baby project program that my school is doing." I quickly whisper out, heading for the kitchen to make some tea. The group follows me and when I start to boil the water, bomb me with questions.

"How long will you take care of him?"

"What's his full name?"

"Do you think you'll keep him when the project's over?" I raised a hand to stop the flow of words coming from their mouths.

"Six months, Oliver Eugene Smith, and I don't know. Now if you'll excuse me I have to take Naru his tea and feed Oliver." And with that I grabbed the tea cup and left the gang standing there.

"That was much easier than I thought it'd be." I whisper out gently as I close the door to Naru's office behind me. A small yawn comes from Oliver as I set the teacup down in front of Naru.

"How so?" I reach for the bigger baby bag, taking out a gallon of purified baby water and a bottle.

"Well I think it was because they were in shock. I was able to shut them up and make tea quickly, as well as explain everything." We sit in silence as I finish making the bottle. Taking a quick glance at Naru, I smile softly. He had sat down with the small child and was staring at him as his arms softly rocked.

"Do you want to feed him?" Startled eyes, much like those of a deer's, look up to meet my eyes. I hold out the bottle, as if it was a grenade. Naru slowly shakes his head and I nod, surprised at the feeling of disappointment that had flashed through me.

"Alright then, let me hold Oliver." I set the warm bottle down on the desk and then take the sleeping infant from my boss. Naru motions towards the couch and follows me with the bottle, handing it to me as I settle into the soft furniture.

"Thank you." He nods his head before heading over to his desk once more.

Naru's POV

I couldn't focus on the papers in front of me. My mind was too focused on Mai, Oliver and Gene. I don't believe in coincidences, so when the child Mai would be taking care of had my first name as well as Gene's...

I was snapped out of my thoughts by a humming sound. The brunette had begun to rock Oliver back and forth as she hummed an English lullaby. Surprise dashes through me. She knew English? And then she began to sing.

"You are my sunshine. My only sunshine. You make me Hap-py when skies are grey. You'll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away..." I was surprised to find that it didn't harm my ears. Mai's singing isn't as good as she believes it to be, yet now her voice is lulling me to sleep. She wasn't singing loud, but almost in a whisper. My eyes drifted shut as she started singing the lines again.