The Shady Spot by the Tree

Percy had been running for around 3 minutes when he found a shady spot by a tree. He slumped down onto the tree and released a sign.

Questions overwhelmed him. Where was he? What was he doing? Who is Annabeth? He needed answers.

But what was he doing? Coming to be alone when deep inside, he feared loneliness. He would go back to the "glade" and get some— his thoughts were interrupted by a tap on his shoulder.

    He whizzed around to see a rather chubby boy standing there, looking at him with big green eyes.

"You want answers don't you?" he said. Percy was so shocked that he didn't know what to say.

He managed to let out a murmur, "Yes."

"Well, for starters, my names Chuck."

"Hey Chuck, I'm the, um...Greenbean..did they call it? Percy."

Chuck smiled, the first real smile Percy had seen for, well, as long as he could remember. Which had technically been about 4 minutes.

"I'm going to explain to you a lot of things at once, and if you have any questions left, ask me."

"Ok," Percy agreed.

"I got here a month ago. When I got here, I couldn't remember anything. I was just like you. All we can remember are our names. A new person comes up every month. We have different jobs, for example, you've got the track-hoes, all they do is gardening. The builders, who aren't always the brightest, but good with their hands. Then you have the slicers, who slice up the good ol' animals for us to eat, where Frypan cooks it up for us! Then you've got the runners, they sprint in the Maze all day, trying to search for ways to get out. Being a runner is a very high-class job to be simple. About 2 weeks ago, a kid named Thomas came up in the box as the greenie. He decided to go help Minho and some of the others, that you'll meet later, out in the Maze for the night, when nobody had ever survived a night in there. The reason nobody survives a night in the glade is because of nasty, part robot creatures we call Grievers. You're probably thinking, why doesn't he just run back into the Glade? Well, the walls open every morning and close every night, keeping the Grievers out. Anyway, Thomas got lucky and went in there and killed one and survived the night. Came out with Minho who was carrying a hurt Alby. You see, even though that shank saved Alby's life, he still broke a rule; no going out in the Maze if your not a Runner. He got a day in the slammer, which is like our jail, but he became a runner. But you probably don't care about that."

    "Wow," Percy said. That was all he could think of. What's a normal response to being told that you just woke up in a giant, monster filled maze with no memory?

"How about we go meet all the other shanks greenie. I was sent here by Newt to come get you, so let's go," Chuck demanded.

"Wait," Percy said. "Is there an Annabeth here?"

Chuck stared at him for a long moment.

He finally replied, "Not that I know of, it's all boys here, so let's go."

Together they walked into the glade.