CHAPTER ELEVEN

Ok so like, my tests haven't actually finished yet, and I know this one might be a little dull, especially when I promised lots of action in this chapter, BUT, dont worry your pretty little heads about it, I can explain.

So, I got to finish this today because one of my tests got moved to a later date, and I just really didnt want to keep anyone waiting any longer. Also, I am about a thousand words into chapter 12, so hopefully I can get that done sooooooon-ish? 

Anyway, here it is, so leave me alone. 

lovelovelovelove you guys xxxxx

----------

“Kara, what do you think is going on?” Ben asked from beside me, nestled into the curve of my body. I sat in the back of the car, twirling one of his loose curls in my index finger, gazing out of the foggy window, trying to make sense of the chaos.

“What was that, baby?” I asked, turning my attention from a gas station that was being robbed, to the big hazel eyes that were staring back at me.

He frowned, “I’m not a baby. And I asked what you think is happening, you know, out there” He said, his head nodding off in the direction of the window.

I hesitated, not wanting to answer his question. No doubt, Ben was a tough kid, but this whole ‘zombie epidemic’ was scaring even me, and I didn’t like the reports coming in from across the country, or the fact that half our relatives suddenly weren’t answering their phones. It was unsettling, and we had yet to even see one of these infected people.

At first, I didn’t buy into it, I honestly hadn’t really expected my life to change, but then mum got off the phone to dad, her face draining of colour and a glazed look dominating her features, and then she had told my brother and me to pack our bags, nothing too special, just a few pairs of clothes. And just like that, we were running.

Dad was in the army, was the thing. He must have known something, something big about this whole outbreak, because he wouldn’t have my mother take us away from our home if everything was okay.

And that was the scariest part; that  I didn’t know where dad was, or where we were going, or what the hell was happening, but I knew that no matter what, I couldn’t unload these heavy thoughts onto Ben.

“You will always be my baby,” I said giving him a fond smile. “Now I don’t know what’s going on, but I bet it’s nothing serious.”

“But it must be!” He insisted. “Or why else would we be running? Why else would uncle Mac and Aunt Stacey stop calling? Huh?” He pushed away from me and crossed his arms angrily. I sighed deeply, trying to think of something to say that wouldn’t leave him as confused or angry or scared as I felt.

I couldn’t think of a think and eventually he nodded back off to sleep, and I used his unconsciousness as a chance to speak to mum.

She had been ignoring our conversation apparently, too focused on listening to the radio as various update reports came in from across the country.

“Well Tracey, it appears that California is one of the worst states to have been hit with the virus. Reports coming in from the President’s office are saying that the hospitals there are flooded with the infected, and that they had to close off all roads leaving the state to try to regulate and contain the growing numbers of the sick. Things do not look good.”

“No, not good at all Dave. We send our thoughts and prayers out to those who are in California right now, or anyone who has friends or relatives there. Now Dave, can you tell us what the CDC in Atlanta are saying? Have they made any ground on treating the virus yet? Or managed to locate its origin?”