CHAPTER TWELVE

Hello all, new author here speaking. If you haven't seen Indi's message board in a while, then you probably don't know that she has in fact left Wattpad. I'm honored that she asked me to take her place and try as best I can to finish this story, especially since it's been one of my favorite's for the past year and a half on Wattpad.

Judging from what she messaged me though, there is still alot left to tell for Daryl and Karolina. And also, as per Indi's request, I went back and edited all the spelling/grammar mistakes I could find in previous chapters.

So here goes, and I hope you enjoy.

----------

"To your left," Daryl whispered behind me. I averted my eyes from the corridor in front of me, to the half-ajar door to my left, and surely enough, a walker was stumbling through in our direction.

I raised my katana, ready to end it, but an arrow flew straight into its head. I nodded my thanks to Daryl and kept moving silently. The smell of walker intestines that was hanging from both Daryl's body and mine was revolting, the rotten fumes clouding in my nasal cavity, but so far, it was working. We had bagged the biter as soon as we left the security room, lucky enough to hack it into pieces before a giant group rounded the corner. No one we had seen since had given us any trouble, and Daryl was quick to send an arrow their way before they could get too close.

The winding maze of hallways was hard to navigate; one wrong turn and you could end up on a completely different path than the one you intended. Right now, we were following the signs that led to the maternity ward, trying to stay on track and avoid as many walkers as possible, not an easy feat when the entire hospital was littered with the things. In all honesty, I was a little skeptical as to whether we would even make it in time, after all that door looked just about ready to burst. But with the haunting memory of my mother and brother still swimming behind my eyes, I pushed on at a faster pace, hoping to God it wasn't too late.

"Kara, you hear that?" Daryl sounded from behind me. I paused and tried to listen, but all I could hear was the all too familiar sound of walkers groaning coming from the distance. It had been growing louder and louder the further we went, and I had my sword ready to swing, thinking surely the source of the sound must be getting closer, but in fact, we hadn't come across any walkers for a while now...

"What am I supposed to be listening for?" I asked.

Daryl simply pointed towards a sign to my right that read 'Maternity Wing', and ah, bingo. The sound was obviously all the commotion coming from the birthing room.

I turned back to Daryl, and despite the revolting stench surrounding the air between us, we leaned in for what would hopefully not end up being our final kiss.

"Love you, Kid." He said once we pulled away.

"You too, you redneck bastard," I replied with a smirk.

We rounded the final corner, the scene looking very familiar after the hours spent looking at it through the haze of the computer monitor.

The situation had grown worse, if possible; there was such a mountain of walkers trying to push their way through that it was impossible to squeeze in past them. Our original plan was to get down here, and sneak into the room next to them. From there, I could axe my way through the wall and into their room and save their arses. Apparently, though, fate had other plans. We could try to shimmy our way through the large group, but if something went wrong right in the middle, well, basically, we would be fucked.

"What now?" I mouthed to Daryl.

He just shrugged, "I guess now, we go have ourselves a walker slaughter fest."