CHAPTER THREE

I sat at the table in the campervan next to Daryl cleaning my knives and giving them a sharpen. Outside the window, there was nothin to see but trees and hills.

We were trying to find an isolated property to rest up for and hopefully take a shower. It had been raining non-stop for the past hour so hopefully a farm around here would have a water tank we could use.

"What about up over there?" Lori asks pointing to a farmhouse in the distance. I could see the turn for the driveway coming up.

"It’s worth a look" Glenn chips in.

"I suppose we can take a peak." Rick says making the turn.

We travel up the long gravel driveway, keeping our eyes peeled for walkers. I think we're all a little on edge since last night. Even my cockiness has dried up a bit after that walker in the campervan attacked me. If there was one thing I absolutely hated, it was being defenseless.

The van came to a stop and I grabbed my axe and followed Daryl around the back of the property while Rick and T-dog went to check out the house. Glenn and the others waited in the van.

Daryl and I walk stealthily in silence, keeping a vigilant watch.

Then the sound of a twig breaking underweight echoes around us and we instinctively go back to back.

Then I lay eyes on it. A small female who has been seriously eaten. She has no legs and most of her arms have been stripped down to the bone.

"Yuck" I say as Daryl turns around. He gets a good look at her and shrugs, lining up to shoot her with his crossbow.

"Wait!" I shout.

Sighing as if I’ve just interrupted him in the middle of something very important he says "What?"

"Can I do the honour?" I ask batting my eyelashes and giving him my best flirty smile.

He regards me for a few seconds then hands the crossbow over.

I hold onto tightly, knowing I have to really cherish this moment. I line it up with the walkers head while she continues to crawl her way over making moaning and groaning sounds.

I double check my aim an-

"Would you hurry up, we're burning daylight out here."

I send him a glare before turning back and shoot the arrow directly into her throat.

"Dammit!" I curse; I was usually a good aim.

I see Daryl smirk and gesture for me to hand the crossbow back. I do with a pout.

"Watch how the pro does it." He says in an annoying superior tone.

He lines up and barely wastes a second trying to aim, piercing the walker right between the eyes.

He looks over at me with a triumphant smile and I cross my arms.

"I’m better with other things." I insist. "And I would be way better if you'd actually let me use the thing every once and while. Better yet how bout you just give the whole thing to me?"

"Nice try kiddo." He says walking off chuckling to himself.

"I’m not a kid." I grumble angrily, but I know he can’t hear.

In the end, we hit the jackpot and find a full water source out the back. Rick says the house is free of walkers too and we all gear up for showers.

The thought of having a shower puts me in a great mood. It’s been weeks since I’ve washed my hair or had a real good scrub, and my teeth feel like they haven’t felt a toothbrush in years. I know I’m not alone in my thoughts and everyone else around seems to be wearing bright smiles too.