December 19th

Luke felt sluggish and not prepared to do anything today although he needed to get a turkey from the store. Luke sat in his car with the heat on full blast–the snow falling rapidly against the harsh wind–as he stared at the store entrance in front of him. Dozens of people walking in and out together laughing and enjoying each other's company as they finished their Christmas shopping together.

Luke envied that.

After video chatting with Michael the previous day he felt lonely in a way he couldn't explain to anyone else but himself. He wanted Michael by his side last night, holding him till he fell asleep. Luke wanted to have his lips leaving marks all across his husband neck in the early hours of the morning. Instead he was left with the right side of the bed being cold and empty like it had been for the past two months.

Luke sat there for a few more moments before turning off his car and preparing himself for the bitter cold nipping at his skin. Fast walking to get to the store doors quicker, Luke wrapped his knitted scarf tightly around his neck and partially on his face, his shoes crunching the snow beneath his feet. Luke hated the winter when it was like this. Snow and Christmas time was always something he enjoyed as a child, but as he got older and left alone during these times while Michael toured he decided it wasn't his favorite anymore, no matter how hard he tried to think positive about it and enjoy the company of his friends and family.

The relief of the hot air blowing across his face as he stepped foot into the grocery store, he gabbed a cart and tugged off his scarf and gloves and he went on a search for a turkey. That either he'll eat alone on Christmas or Michael will be there with him to devour his cooking.

"Luke..?" He turned around to see a familiar face.

"Momma Clifford." Luke smiled brightly, walking over to his mother-in-law and pulling her into a tight hug and kissing her on the cheek before pulling away from her embrace.

"What are you doing here? I haven't heard from Michael in a while, since he left for his tour. You two got back the other night, right?." She sounded confused and Luke didn't blame her for feeling that way.

"Well, I actually didn't go with him. I decided to stay back so I could decorate our new home and get ready for Christmas." Luke tried to explain.

"Michael's not home then?" Luke shook his head no, his face falling and lips turning down into a frown.

"He's supposed to be home Christmas Eve. His manager was an idiot and booked him for some Christmas Eve concert. It was not a happy day for me when I found out." Luke shuffled on the heels of his feet, stuffing his hands into his jacket pockets while Mrs. Clifford gave him a sad smile. "So, here I am now trying to find a turkey before they all sell out. I want Michael to have a nice hot dinner when he comes home."

"If I know anything about my son, he'll never turn down food. And since he can't even boil water properly he's lucky to have a husband who's skilled at cooking." She praised Luke and Luke forgot about how much he enjoyed being in the presence of his in-laws. In the presence of family that wasn't his by blood but from Michael and he couldn't have been more grateful for them.

////

still not over the thought of muke as husbands