Chapter One

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”          -Dr. Seuss  

Chapter One

“Breakfast?” Claire repeated without comprehension. The head vamp-Mr. Bishop-had asked her to make breakfast as he sat in Michael’s chair making it look more like his throne. Bishop’s boy toy and girl were both leaning against the chair he was occupying and I didn’t like it, I didn’t like him, and I didn’t like the way his girl friend was staring at me. I impulsively was leaning over Claire protectively and she didn’t seem to mind. 

“Breakfast,” Bishop replied quietly, “is something to be eaten in the mornings. Mornings for vampires are not controlled by sunrise. And I like eggs.”

“Scrambled or over easy?” Claire asked. 

“Scrambled,” he said and Claire blew out a breath or relief. I guess she doesn’t know how to cook over easy. Claire seemed lost for a moment as she stared at Mr. Bishop, like she was trying to figure him out. “Have you told Amelie that I’ve arrived?” he asked her, making her snap out of her reverie. 

“I called. I got her voice mail,” Claire said a little frigidly. Bishop scowled at her, and my fists tightened. 

“I suppose that means you left a message,” he asked. She nodded, which was probably good, considering how tense she felt I’m sure she would pull a tone that he wouldn’t like. “Very well. We’ll eat while we wait. Eggs, scrambled, as I said. We shall also have bacon, coffee-” 

“Biscuits,” the girl said staring directly at me. I shivered inwardly and looked away. Her voice was thick as molasses and had a Southern accent that wasn’t quite a twang. “I love biscuits. And honey,” she purred in my direction and I refused to look at her. I definitely did not like this. 

“Biscuits,” Mr. Bishop agreed and my eyes snapped back to him. He was looking at the woman with adoring eyes, like she was a kitten that he was indulging. “And I’ll indulge you further by agreeing to gravy, child.” He lost his smile when he turned to us. “Go about your business, then. Now.” 

I grabbed Claire’s hand and dragged her to the kitchen. Michael was on the same page as me and Eve and him were already there by the time we arrived. “Hey! I’m walking here!” Eve protested as Michael pushed her further into the kitchen. 

“And the faster, the better,” he pushed her one last time, glanced at Claire and I, then silently walked over and pushed the kitchen door closed. “Right. We don’t have a lot of choices. Let’s do exactly what he says and hope Amelie can sort all this out when she gets here.” 

“I though you were all Big Bad Bloodsucker these days,” I said. “It’s your house. How come you can’t just throw them out?” I asked. Suddenly the temperature in the kitchen got cold and Claire shivered.

“It’s complicated,” Michael said. Complicated? What the fuck is complicated about telling people to get the fuck out of our house? I watched as he started to make coffee. I walked over and stood in  the middle of the kitchen. “Yeah, it’s our house, but if I revoke Bishop’s invitation, he will still kick our asses, I guarantee you.”

I walked further up to him and leaned against the stove so I could see his face, “I just thought you were supposed to be stronger than them on home ground-” 

“Supposed to be,” he interrupted. “I’m not. Don’t be an asshole right now-we don’t have time for it,” he grunted and finished preparing the coffee then pressed brew. 

“Dude, I wasn’t trying to be,” I said honestly. Michael gave me an apologetic glance then turned and leaned against the counter. “I’m trying to figure out how big a pile of crap we’re in. Not blaming you, man.” I hesitated before I asked, “How do you know? Whether or not you have a chance?” I didn’t know why I was asking and I think he was kind of surprised by the question.