Chapter Four

“Love is never forever because nothing is. Forever itself is nonexistent.”

Chapter Four

The drive back was uncomfortable. Claire’s dad was still angry, her mom was still embarrassed by Claire’s wayward comment. Eve and Michael were up front and Mr. & Mrs. Danvers, Claire, and I were squeezed very tightly in the back. Claire’s dad would not stop glaring at me and, though it would provide more room in the back, I didn’t dare touch Claire. When we pulled up in front of their house it was almost an exact replica of the Glass house, except the neat little rows of flowers and the grass in the front yard. Claire’s mom opened the door and climbed out and Mr. Danvers followed. He leaned down before closing it and looked at Claire. “I expect you to tell me when you’re coming home. And by home, I mean here, with us.” He glared at his daughter for longer than necessary, sent me a look, then closed the door. We all sighed in relief as Michael pulled away. 

“Wow,” I said as Claire scooted over and I wrapped my arm around her. “Dude’s got a glare on him. Maybe he really does belong her in Morganville,” I joked. 

“Don’t say that,” Claire hissed. 

I sighed in regret and took her delicate hand in mine. “Easy. Like Michael said, you don’t have to go if you don’t want to go. Not that I wouldn’t feel better if you were someplace a hell of a lot safer.” She looked up at me with wide, hurt eyes and I pulled her tighter to my body. 

“I don’t think the Danvers house will be safer,” Michael said. “They don’t understand the rules, or the risks-they’re too new here. I think Bishop’s trying to play with Amelie’s head, and whatever we think about her, he’s worse. I guarantee it.”

Claire shuddered against me, “Was it Amelie who called you at the restaurant?” 

“No,” Michael said with a grim lilt to his voice. “That was Oliver. I have to admit, I’m not feeling real good about this. Oliver’s never really been on her side-maybe he’s taken Bishop’s. In which case we could be going home to a trap.”

“Do we have a choice?” I asked. 

“Don’t think so,” he shook his head. 

“Then screw it. I’m getting tired.” I yawned. “Let’s go get eaten. At least then I can get some sleep.” Nobody laughed, of course, it wasn’t funny. Claire and I both snuggled closer at the same time and she smiled against my neck. I leaned my cheek against the top of her head and looked out the window, looking for trouble. We finally arrived at our house and Michael pulled in the drive and cut the ignition. We all piled out, but I kept my arm around Claire, and Michael and Eve led the way to the door. 

“Guys,” Michael said as Eve reached for the door handle. “I didn’t exactly get any instant upgrade on knowledge when I-when I changed, but I’m damn sure of one thing. This Bishop, he’s real trouble. Trouble like maybe we’ve never seen before. And I’m worried. “So watch each other’s backs. I’ll try-” He stopped and shook his head. He didn’t know how to finish that because, hell, what could we do? 

I cleared my throat, “We’re all on it, man. We’ll be okay.” No one said anything but after awhile we all went inside and into the kitchen, which was a fucking mess, then back into the living room. Amelie and Oliver were sitting at our dining table playing a game of chess, having carelessly shoved the old food out of the way. Neither of them paid any attention to us, but simply contemplated the game. 

“You’re not welcome here,” Michael said to Oliver who smiled and raised his eyebrows. 

“Waiting for the house to evict me? Keep waiting,” Oliver said. I didn’t like this. “Amelie, you really should teach your pets manners. Next thing you know, they’ll be clawing the carpet and spraying the drapes.”