Chapter 2: A Crack in the Universe

"Athens, Greece around 500 BC was the greatest city state in the Greek empire," said the Doctor as he rushed around the TARDIS control panel hitting buttons and twisting knobs. "It was ruled by Pericles and boasted the second largest army in the Balkan Peninsula and was principle in defeating the Persian attempts to invade ancient Greece. Do you know the only city state to have a larger army than Athens?" he asked Clara, his companion. "Uhhhhhhhh, Rome?" she responded very uncertainly. "Rome? Rome? Rome hasn't even revolted against the Etruscans yet. Come on, they are possibly even more famous than Athens. Nothing? Oh fine it was the Spartans." "Ohhhhh the this is Sparta spartan kick Spartans." " No that's the movie 300. They didn't really do that, at least I don't think they did. But besides military power Athens boasted the largest accumulation of knowledge in the world until it was conquered by the Romans." The TARDIS suddenly goes crazy tossing them every which way sparks fly from the control panel and fires begin to burn.

When the shaking finally stops and the TARDIS appears to have landed they stand up."Doctor, where are we?" Clara asks? He runs over to check the control panel. "By the laws of time we should be in the space between universes because we fell through a crack in the universe. But, this is saying that we are in Athens, Greece." "So we made it?" "Not quite, Athens Greece in the year 2256 in an parallel universe." "So what do we do?" "We really should stay in here and figure out a way to get back. We really should leave." The Doctor looks up and smiles, "Geronimo!" and runs out the door with Clara close behind.

"It looks just like the normal Athens I've seen in pictures except for that giant jumbotron," commented Clara. "I don't think that was here. What's it used for?" "News, maybe." Suddenly the jumbotron turns on and a man starts blurting out random bits of information. "Yep news." Everything the newscaster says just seems to be random bits of gossip until the last thing he says. "And finally, our latest and most interesting development, the USS Enterprise has just become the first ever star ship to set a metaphorical foot in the delta quadrant!" There are cheers and whistles all around. "This truly sets the standard of the Federation." The jumbotron blinks off and people begin to disperse talking about the news that interested them the most. Clara turns around to see the Doctor chewing his lip with a worried look on his face. "Doctor, what is it?" "I don't know. Federation and delta quadrant rings a warning bell." "One thing I don't understand is delta quadrant of what? The pacific ocean?" "No, the delta quadrant is one of four quadrants of our galaxy. There are many advanced alien life forms I'm the delta quadrant such as the Kazon, the Talaxians, and the........." The Doctor immediately gets up and sprints towards the TARDIS. Clara sprints after him. The Doctor runs to the computer and starts typing rapidly. "Doctor what is it?" "I know why it rang a warning bell. There is an alien race in that quadrant that is more powerful than an entire federation fleet, in the late 24th century no less. At the battle of wolf 359 a single Borg ship defeated 47 federation ships. And the federation is the most powerful race in this quadrant. However it says here that the Borg weren't discovered by humans until the mid 24th century, About a hundred years from now. We have to stop them. They are flying right into hell itself."