Epilogue- The Truth

Cain remembered rising out of the dark of his mind. There was a break in his memories, snow floating through an open window, Tessa glowing in the dark. Then there was heat, like his chest had been sliced open and a burning coal set inside. But it was just his heart, overwhelming him with its pulse, sending his body into overdrive.

                He slept. Like a creature buried deep in the ground. Hibernating to survive the cold. There were dreams, but like they always did, when he woke up he was left with only the vague sensation of loss. Something terrible he couldn’t quite remember.

                There was a hard man standing at the foot of his bed. Tall and silver and glinting in the bright light that blasted through the windows. Outside there were birds. Cain wondered if he was really awake.

                Then the man bowed, “Your Highness.”

Cain got to his feet. He was wearing different clothes and at first he was appalled and then he remembered that in his childhood when he fell asleep his servants would dress him. It felt like he was looking at everything through warped glass.

           The man remained in his bow and Cain realized he expected a response. He nodded stiffly.

                “There are matters that need to be discussed. You probably desire an explanation for the time you have lost.” Cain wondered if the man meant the seven years he had been without a heart, or the past few months he couldn’t recall.

             “Your Name.”

           “Harlow Blind, I lead an army of five hundred men from Terracendia,” The man looked uncomfortable and it dawned on Cain that he had probably expected to rule for his efforts. Cain didn’t want to deal with a rebellion, it was his birthright to rule and he would have what he was born to have.

                Cain smiled and clamped a hand on his shoulder.

                “It would be my honor to have you on my inner council.”

                Harlow Blind looked surprised, and momentarily Cain thought he might decline.

                Then, “It would be my honor.”

                Cain knew that wasn’t the end of it, but he was suddenly eager to leave this room and see what the world looked like with a heart.

                Down the stairs and in the throne room there was a multitude of servants and men and women clad in armor of all kinds. He smiled at the servants who observed him curiously. He was shocked they didn’t display fear at him, surely all the years of torture could not be so easily erased.

                “They’ve waited years for you to wake up.” That was a young boy, wearing work clothes and frowning under a head of fair hair. Harlow Blind nodded at the boy, who returned the gesture and Cain became aware that the boy, despite his age, seemed to lead many of the soldiers around them.

                They watched him always, shifting weight to unconsciously protect him. Cain thought about commanding that kind of loyalty. The boy was scowling. Cain decided he liked him.  

              Cain looked around for Tessa, expecting her to come tearing through the crowds and punch him for being so ridiculous. She didn’t emerge.

              The boy, who introduced himself as Gray explained that Resa had succeeded in finding a jinx and had returned with an army as well. He inquired as to where she was, but neither man had seen her since the night she had defeated the Queen. The Queen was dead, buried in the crypts beneath the city. While that had been happening, the Queen’s army had fought against the rebel forces. Harlow smirked when he spoke about how they had surrendered when their witch was dragged from the tower.