Chapter 27- Butterflies

“What was yours?” Resa asked Matthew.

“Let me see, my best memory?” They were on their horses. They walked side by side on a wide, empty road that stretched far into the distance until it met the mountains. There the street dissolved into the looming, purple foothills of the Aryan Mountains.

“I’ve got it! Rain.” He proclaimed triumphantly.

“Wow, so specific.” Resa teased.

“Hang on, I’m not done. Aydrus and I were out at the market and it started to pour. We had to sprint back in the rain. I fell in a puddle, got completely soaked. ” He smiled at the memory, but it was a sad smile.

 “Clumsy as always.” Resa nudged him, jolting him out of his reverie.

“Shut up. Yours was about baking.”

“Your turn to ask.” They were playing a game of Bests. Best day, best food, best anything.

“Alright.” He paused to think, they had exhausted an hour playing the game and it was getting harder to think of ideas.

“Hurry up.”

“Shh, I’m thinking.” A grin spread over his face and Resa felt her stomach turn uncomfortably. “Best kiss.” Resa made a face, but paused to kiss.

“You really want to know?”

“Yes.”

“His name was Gus, a street rat like me. I was fourteen, the sun was setting and he was handsome.”

“That’s all?” He looked slightly disappointed so Resa continued.

“Well he leaned in and his lips tasted like…”

“Ok, ok, stop, I get it. Don’t want to know.” She shrugged.

“You asked for it. So who was yours?”

“Lily Geiger. I was seven.” Resa whistled sarcastically.

“Slayer.”

“Oh yes, when I was seven all the ladies loved me. Not as true now though.” Resa snorted.

“I find that hard to believe.”

            “Want to bet.”

            “Yes. Next inn we stop in, I’ll bet you all the coins I can steal the serving girl will flirt with you.”

            “I’ll take that bet, prepare to lose!”

            “Here are your keys.” The brunette purred, leaning over the counter. “Do you want me to show you the way?” She walked around and rubbed herself against a very uncomfortable Matthew.

            “That’s fine Miss, I can find the way.” Resa put her hand over her mouth, holding back a laugh.

            “Who are you?” The girl asked, sneering down at Resa.

            “Nobody.” Resa laughed.

            “How long are you staying?” She ogled Matthew.

            “Just the night.” Resa snorted, earning herself another glare.

            “How about I give your bed a visit, warm it up.” She waggled her eyebrows. Resa finally doubled over laughing.

            “No thank you Miss.” Matthew made a hasty exit.

            “He wants me.” The girl said.