Chapter 13- The Boys

Matthew woke up early, a habit from a life long ago, when he had been apprenticed to a blacksmith. It took a moment for him to realize that he and his sister had fallen asleep gripping each other tightly. He had slept fitfully, waking up with a shock, each time reaching for his sister as though his subconscious still couldn't accept they had found each other at last. It was a small comfort, reminding him of when they were children and couldn't have dreamed of being separated. Carefully, he disentangled himself and crept over to the washbowl in the corner of the small room. He splashed water on his face, rubbing the last of his sleep from his eyes. His gaze drifted over to Resa, who was curled up next to the remains of the fire, her eyes darting back and forth quickly beneath her eyelids. It seemed neither of them were able to find peace in sleep. After lacing up his boots he reached for his sword and began to buckle it to his side. However, halfway through the motion he paused. He wasn't a soldier anymore, and wearing a sword would just make him more conspicuous. As much as it pained him to relinquish the familiar weight, he settled for a small dagger in his boot.

Trudging downstairs to the dining area he found a table towards the back and sat back to listen to the gossip. He didn't know whether he hoped to hear of their escape or not. If it was widely known they would need to get out of town immediately, but perhaps knowing the danger was better than constantly watching their backs. Nothing he heard stood out to him and he began to feel his eyelids drooping from exhaustion. Just then, two soldiers entered the room and made their way towards Matthew's table.

His heart leapt in his throat and he immediately ducked his head down, wishing all of a sudden that his hair weren't so bright and noticeable. The men weaved through tables, approaching him rapidly, just as he was sure he needed to make a run for it they changed course and plonked themselves down at the table beside him. A serving girl scurried over to their table, taking their order hurriedly as they shot her lewd looks. As she retreated one reached out and smacked her rear, causing his companion to bark with laughter. After she returned with steaming plates of food and set them down in front of the two men she approached Matthew, looking harried and worn out despite it being early.

"What can I get you sir?" she asked, her lips twisting into a polite smile.

"Are you ok?" Matthew asked, subtly shifting his eyes to the two soldiers.

The girl's mouth opened in an O of surprise. "Oh I'm used to it, they come in nearly every day 'round this time."

"That isn't an excuse to act like pigs," Matthew said, and her expression told him she agreed.

"Can't do much to upset the regulars though," she sighed. "'specially not the Queen's soldiers." Her eyes flickered up and down his body and settled on his feet which were stretched out lazily in front of him. Her face paled and she took a quick step back. "Beg your pardon sir, I didn't realize you were one of 'em."

Matthew followed her gaze and realized with a start that his boots were clearly soldier grade. He quickly pulled his legs out of sight under the table but it was too late. Past the serving girl the soldiers were staring at him curiously.

He had been found out.

***

Cain had no idea what he was searching for. He'd been wandering around the maze of books that made up the palace library for most of the day. The Queen had blessedly remained preoccupied with meetings with her advisors since the morning so he was delivered hours to use how he pleased.

So he did what any occasionally possessed, constantly broody prince would do. He visited the library to study.

He'd started in the section about witchcraft but his aunt must have hidden or destroyed any volumes with information about real magic. Most of what was left was fairy tales about boys who slept for thousands of years or girls who fought dragons. He'd found one text that tickled the back of his mind, he thought his mother may have read it to him when he was young, so he'd tucked the little book into his pocket and continued on his quest.