02. Back Like The Prodigal Son

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what brings me here. Sore all over, probably making my Aunt worried out of her mind, just sold my soul to the Marauders while contemplating how the sweetest of ladies could give birth to a devil of a son like James Potter.
Does she even know about the havoc that boy causes in school?
She probably doesn't, seeing how sweet the boys are around her.
I wonder what Evans will say when she finds out...

"Of course Evans can't know this... well until she's madly in love with me." James whispers as soon as his mother leaves the room.
He's a bloody mind reader I swear.

Lupin is rummaging through the cupboard, "Prongs, I know what you're thinking. That's the worst idea ever." He turns to me quickly, "Tea?"

"Umm okay." Is all I manage to say, trying to understand what they're talking about. It's like they read each other's minds.

"But an Unbreakable Vow!" Sirius cries exasperatedly.

My eyes wide in surprise, "You what?!"

James tries to back the boy up, "But-"

"But no! No buts! Hell no!"

"Moony help us out here!" Sirius pleads.

Remus puts a cup of tea by me, he's oddly nice which is rather suspicious, "What she said Pads. Sorry."

"Thank you Lupin."

"How could you not be on our side?"

"Legalities Prongs." Lupin shrugs.

"Says who?"

"The Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery." He raises an eyebrow, "No magic outside of school until we're seventeen."

"But I've only got two months." Sirius whines, earning a glare from Lupin. He slumps into a chair, "You're no fun."

"Well," I take a sip of tea, a little smirk forming on my face "seems like one of you has some common sense."

*

"Are you sure you're alright sweetie?" Mrs Potter fusses over me for what seems like the hundredth time.

"I'm fine thank you Mrs Potter." I smile, hobbling towards the fireplace.

"Well do pop in again," Mr Potter smirks, something James has inherited, "though I do hope that you won't cause any bodily damage next time."

"Thank you I guess." I shrug, my cheeks heating up. I duck into the fireplace and take a handful of the powder.

"Safe journey Miss Novak." Sirius grins slyly as he offers out the floo box, "Nice shirt by the way."

I ignore him, smiling at the rest of them as I say- clearly this time-, "Lottie's house!"

My landing is significantly more graceful the second time around. I just about manage to stay on my feet. A pair of arms wrap around me before my eyes even adjust to the light, "Lin!"

"Hey Miriam." I cough, my bones being crushed by the embrace. The hugger in question is my rather enthusiastic eleven year old sister.

"Where the Hell have you been?!" My aunt rushes into the room, her arms wide and expecting a hug. I'm really not in a hugging mood, what with the sore limbs and all. Lottie walks into the living room behind her mother, and gives me a small wave.

"Oh it's a long story." I wince as my aunt hugs me even tighter than Miriam, "I'd be happy to tell it over tea."

*

"You what?!" Lottie cries, cutting me short from the moment I just said Sirius Black.

I roll my eyes, "Yeah, and Remus Lupin. Also James bloody Potter."

"You're so screwed." My sister grins smugly, growing up on the tales from school that Lottie writes to her about.

"Shut it." I frown, stuffing a biscuit into my face, "And I got a cut- hold on..."

"What?"

"Why are you here? How?" I raise an eyebrow.

She flicks her hair smugly, "Unlike you, I can use floo network."

Lottie snorts, her pale cheeks turning pink in a matter of seconds. I glare at her, "Some Hufflepuff you are."

"Oh I'm sorry," she laughs, "I didn't know you had to be soft and a sweet little Angel to be in the mighty badger house."

"You're supposed to be loyal you!-"

"Now now Aylin dear," Lottie interrupting, pouting, "don't you start swearing, small children are present."

"She's eleven." I mutter.

"She hasn't even started first year yet, she's still a child." My cousin states in a matter-of-factly tone.

I roll my eyes, "Fine, for the sake of Miriam's innocence: you Lottie, are a very mean woman."

"That's somewhat better."