56. A Series of Unfortunate Events

"Gryffindor against Slytherin, the day of judgment dawns," James says darkly on a Saturday morning, plopping himself down beside Sirius. He raises an eyebrow at Lottie, who sits on my right, "the Badgers are on our side, right?"

"I'm not the representative of my house, but I assume most of them will be. I hear the Ravenclaws are rooting for Slytherin," She shrugs, making me realise how many matches I missed this year.

"Well, training starts in ten, y'all are welcome," James stuffs a roll into his mouth and gets back up, jogging out of the Hall.

I turn to Remus, who's more interested in a book than his plate, "Do you wanna go?"

"Hmm?" He looks up from the pages, slightly dazed.

"Go to watch James? We could make it a day."

Remus frowns, his voice a little quieter, "Are you sure?"

"Of course, it'll be fun."

*

There's a light drizzle as we walk towards the quidditch field, all fighting for space under Lily's umbrella. James and the team are already on the pitch when we reach the stands, doing little warm-up exercises.

"Go Jamesie! I love you baby! Make me proud!" Sirius shouts, cackling when James turns to give him the middle finger.

"We've got contest Remus," I laugh, "for the cutest couple of the year."

"Oh please," Sirius shakes his head, "it's always been me and my hairbrush."

"Brushie isn't much of a talker, though," Peter sighs, pushing Sirius forward for more umbrella space.

"Oh my God!" Lily screeches, drawing our attention back. We frantically search for the cause of her hysteria, but it becomes clear when she leans over the barrier to yell, "James you dick! Stop doing somersaults!"

"Sorry love!" He calls back, and I'm pretty sure that he's grinning ear-to-ear, "Though it's nice to know that you care about me!"

Lily's cheeks are as red as her hair as she shuffles back under her umbrella, and when I laugh, she hisses, "Not a word."

"I wasn't going to tell-"

"Silent. Or umbrella privileges go."

"Fine, alright," I don't try very hard to mask my grin, and turn back to the session, resting against Remus, who holds the umbrella up since he's the tallest. The seeker zooms past us as the snitch just skims past, and for a moment I feel the urge to reach out-

"Easy there, you'll drool on your cloak," Remus laughs, and I realise that I've been staring out in the direction of the snitch like a kid at a sweet shop.

"Sorry."

"You getting quidditch withdrawal symptoms?"

I roll my eyes, "You make it sounds like I'm an addict."

"That's what quidditch is," Sirius turns around, sighing dramatically, "a dangerous high."

"Ever the Drama Queen." Peter rolls his eyes.

"That's why I'm a commentator, Sweetie."

"Why does Potter have the beater's bat?" Lily groans, pinching the bridge of her nose. We turn our attention back to the pitch, on which James is swinging the bat precariously as the beater tries to grab it. Something stupid is gonna happen, I can sense it.