Chapter 7

Renji saw the battle again in his mind. He had been scouting through the city. When he spotted the hollow he drew his zanpaku-to ready to slash into its mask. He hadn't expected it to suddenly sprout tentacles. He had been bound swiftly, the tentacles crushing the air out of him. Panic took over as he tried to breathe. The masked face had turned, the permanent smile seeming more intelligent than any he had ever seen on a hollow. Then he had felt the pain of his leg breaking. He screamed trying to suppress the pain so that he could fight back. Next had been the piercing stab of the tentacle hitting him in the gut. He hadn't had time to look down to see where when the next one had hit him in the chest. Pain exploded from his legs, his shoulders. Then his spiritual energy was being forcibly pulled from him and he started to lose consciousness. So weak, like he was now.

Renji slowly became aware of himself again. His pain was vanishing. The only sensations that remained were weariness and fatigue. He was so tired he was tempted to just drift back into sleep. But there were voices. Curious he continued to allow himself to awaken. He opened his eyes a little. A golden glow surrounded him and through it he could just see Orihime. Her arm was still in a sling but her face had healed and was no longer bandaged. How much time had passed, he wondered. She noticed he was stirring and smiled down at him.

"I'm not done healing you yet. Go back to sleep." He was too tired to nod. Sleep, sleep sounded good. Besides, the danger was past now. He could relax. Obliging her request he allowed his eyes to close and went back to sleep.